Magellan Gps 2000 Questions

pk386

Hey all I have a quick question.

I have a Magellan GPS 2000. This unit is 10 years old, it still powers up and works fine but never recives a good signal.

I go to "Sat Status" in the menu and it shows the sattlites but I never get a signal strength above 0 (Zero)

Do GPS antennas just go bad over time? or is there some kind of tweak I can do to get it working. or do I just need to give up the ghost and buy a new one?

I have a BS in electronics technology so I'm not scared of prying it open.

Thanks All for your time

Morgan

Btw I live is southern Mississippi

Edited by pk386

UPDATE: I left the Unit out side for a good 5 hrs and it finally got a good signal. But It dosent have good engough signal to properly track the unit.

SE La vi. I guess I'll have to go shopping.

Thanks 6x for the offer but I currently don't have the budget to buy one... I would like to get a new one soon... consitering a new magellan Explorist only cost around 129.99 (www.newegg.com). I am going to shop at other sights.

Thanks all for your help!

Morgan

My first GPSr was a GPS 2000 that I bought on eBay. At the time, I didn't know about geocaching, and bought the unit to play with.

After trying it for geocaching (and not having very much luck), I bought a new eXplorist 100. See my other forum entry about a side-by-side comparison:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=126183&hl=

Because of the accuracy problems with my GPS 2000, I use my eXplorist for all my geocachings (my eXplorst has been very accurate and easy to use for geocaching) I plan to experiment with my old GPS 2000. I am thinking of using it in the car as a general GPS unit, to navigate to basic coords, then use my eXplorist for the final hunt.

Maybe build a better DC/battery supply with charger, maybe an external LED light for the screen, and I also want to cut the thing open and see if I can build an external antenna.

All for the sake of knowledge :-)

Edited by Fuzzywhip