Downloading From Pda To Gps

Zoeker Bill

I want to get into paperless caching. Any pda recommendations. Can you download waypoints into your GPS from your PDA? If possible, what is involved? The Beginners Guide recommends the Palm 111 because it has the serial RS232 port and my Garmin came with a cable that connects it to the computer via the serial port. Therefore I assume I can use that cable to connect the GPS and the PDA. Are the required cables available for other pda's for example a mini USB to a serial RS232.

Yes you can transfer waypoints from a Palm PDA to a GPSr using a serial connection with the proper software and cables. A USB connection poses problems as both the PDA and GPSr are "slave" devices and cannot talk directly to each other.

I have a page about Palm/Garmin serial data transfer that might interest you here.

If you become a Premium Member, you can Create Pocket Queries.

Then you can put all that data into GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and filter the caches the way you want.

I have a monochrome Palm M500 that can hold thousands of caches in Cachemate. My GPSr can only hold 500. Usually I filter the caches in GSAK for the area I am caching in, but if for some reason I don't have the cache on my GPSr, I can get the data off my Palm.

It would be interesting to be able to connect the two, but both use USB . . . and if I prepare correctly, I shouldn't be missing any caches on the GPSr. :D