Legend Vs Explorist 210

I would like to purchase a gps in the next couple weeks. These two fall in my price range, and have similar specs. Any advice on which is the better unit

I plan to use it for Geocaching, but I own 15 acres of land with know idea where the boundry markers are. Would either of these units be helpful in locateing them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would like to purchase a gps in the next couple weeks. These two fall in my price range, and have similar specs. Any advice on which is the better unit

I plan to use it for Geocaching, but I own 15 acres of land with know idea where the boundry markers are. Would either of these units be helpful in locateing them.

The part about the 15 acres, the gpsr will show your track but you need some reference points from the survey of the property to know where to start and go to.

I had the chance of using an Explorist 200 this past weekend and in use to me it was like comparing Ford vs Chevy. On some caches the Magellan was faster to acquire the sats on others the Garmin had less error. I was used to using the Legend but the controls on the other were not hard to figure out. I actually liked the Magellan for and would have no problems with replacing the Legend with a 210 as it is also download capable.

You might check bizrate as there were a couple 210's listed in the $150's.

Wow, can't believe I'm saying this since I'm a Garmin user at the moment...

It seems the Explorist 210 is a better value than the Legend right now.

Price (via PriceGrabber from reputable dealers)

Legend - $129.99 shipped

Explorist - $154.00 shipped

Memory (This WILL become an issue if you live in a large metropolitan area)

Explorist - 22MB

Legend - 8 MB

PC Interface (USB is much faster than serial)

Explorist - USB

Legend - Serial

The larger base memory and the USB interface are major pluses to the Explorist IMHO.

Edited by Audion

Thanks to the info on this site and folks in the chat room, I have made up my mind. Ordered my Legend from price grabber for $122 shipped.

Thanks to those who helped. I can't wait to find my first cache.

First off let me clarify that I have no connection with ANY retailers....

Personally I would have been ever so slightly wary ordering from the storefront that you picked. This is only based on the relatively low number of reviews that the store has. I've had NO previous experience with that company. Sure they are all 5 star reviews but there are a total of 15.... the retailer I price quoted has over 22,000 reviews and is a pretty solidly reputable dealer.

There may (and probably) is absolutely nothing wrong with the place you ordered from.... a store has to start building a reputation from the ground up and is therefore going to 'small and new' in the beginning. I only bring this up to make people aware. Be a smart consumer, always 'check out' an online retailer as best you can, read ALL the fine print on their pages, ask questions, etc etc. There are a lot of really great, small mom & pop operations out there just trying to make an honest buck on the internet... but there are also always going to be unscrupulous people who are only out there to scam you and take your money. Like I said, I just want people be smart consumers.

That said, I wish you luck with your transaction and hope you have fun with your new toy! :D

Please let us know who it turns out and certainly post positive or negative feedback on PriceGrabber to help out the next buyer.