60csx Vs Rino 530 (and Maps Question For Both!)

I'm debating between the Rino 530 and the 60csx. I'm a total rookie with GPS units, have never owned one, and probably would only use a small part of the functionality. I can see myself maybe doing a little geocaching, but I'd mostly use it for dirtbiking/exploring off road in the Lake Tahoe area, and another area of Northern California near Lake Almanor.

I like the idea of having a radio with the Rino, but, how much functionality would I be sacrificing?

I'd love to start a little debate between the two units, unless the csx is really hands down FAR superior in every way to the Rino.

My other question concerns both units. Once I buy one, I'll have to buy maps I assume. Which maps would be the best for off-road trails and lakes/streams etc.? The Topo map?

Thanks in advance! :D

The 530 doesn't have the more sensitive receiver circuits of the 60CSx and also doesn't let you store as many map sections. The latter may not be that important to you if you just plan to use it in a limited geographic area.

I'd think the 530 would be most useful if you planned to do things in a somewhat disbursed group and were going to use several Rino units to keep track of the location of the other parties. Examples might be some types of hunting, boy scout troop activites, SAR groups, etc.

Otherwise I'd opt for one of the 60 'x' models and use a separate radio when desired.

i went with the 60csx (even though my family has two rino 120s) because I wanted the better chipset (keeps a better lock in adverse conditions) and because I wanted expandable memory.

The rinos are great but to truely get the use out of them you/your group needs 2+. We use ours skiing and dirt bike riding and its cool.

Not sure if this post helps or just makes you more torn but there is my opinion.