Geocaching With Smartphone

Folks,

just switched my palm treo using cachemate to a Audiovox Smartphone running windows. I cannot use GPXsonar it looks like...any idea on a piece of software I could use to geocache using this phone/semi-pda ? I am looking for the same functionnality as gpxsonar or cachemate

thx in advance !

etrekker_mtl

I take it that is running WM 5.0. I had a Cingular 2125 that had the WM 5.0. I couldn't get any Geocaching programs to work on it. That was before Cachemate came out for Windows. I don't know if Cachemate will run on it or not.

I can't imagine that WM 5.0 is the hot new OS and none of the Geocaching software companies have stepped up to make sure their software will run on WM 5.0.

I can't imagine that WM 5.0 is the hot new OS and none of the Geocaching software companies have stepped up to make sure their software will run on WM 5.0.

I recently upgraded my iPAQ hx2755 Pocket PC to WM 5.0 and I have no troubles with geocaching software. I've run Beeline GPX, GPX Sonar and Cachemate. They all work fine. While not geocaching specific, I'm also running Mapopolis which works great as well.

It's probably more of SmartPhone problem than a WM 5.0 problem (or the combination of those two).

-al

When I was running WM 5.0 I was on a Cingular 2125. The problem is when you try to load the programs onto the unit. It says that the file isn't compatible or something like that.

Could it also be a difference between having the programs already on the unit when you upgrade the OS and trying to load the program when the OS is already WM 5.0?

I haven't had any problems with WM5 that came already on my Dell Axim x51.

It might indeed be something about the smartphone variant.

Although I recall there was something in a thread about the installer used by Cachemate didn't work with square and landscape screens. Check out here or at smittyware if you think that might be the problem.

I use my Smartphone (MOT MPx220) as a "tiny" PDA for paperless caching. It works perfectly for me.

I use the GSAK HTML export of my Pocket Queries copied onto the external card in my phone.

The "Alpha Index" and "Nearest Caches" are my favorite features. I can see all the info associated with a cache (name, description, hints, logs, etc.). Perfect. I'm not sure I need any additional functionality than this when out in the field.

The best part of this solution is the form-factor of my cell phone. I always carry my cell phone, so no need for another device to carry iinto the woods.

markp99 - that is one thing that attracts me about the Smartphone idea and Geocaching software. No need to carry 3, 4 or 5 devices out into the field with you. I'm contemplating switching phones again to a Cingular 8125, but I really don't want to do so until I'm sure I can run some Geocaching specific software on it.

I have a Jornada and it only runs CE so I have used the HTML viewer on it before. It works, but after using some of the other programs I know that there is better out there.

It seems like people are still forgetting that recent versions of Windows Mobile come in two flavors... Pocket PC and Smartphone. They are not the same thing.

GPXSonar, CacheMate, and other software written for Pocket PC will not run on the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile. Speaking for CacheMate, at least, I've no idea when or if I'll do a Smartphone version... there are a ton of UI issues to have to work around for a program that complex, one of the biggest being the lack of a touchscreen on those devices.

The Cingular 2125 and the only WM Audiovox phone I've seen are running the Smartphone edition, while it seems that the Cingular 8125 is running Pocket PC.

Edited by Maeglin

One of the "features" of WM5 is (supposed to be) that the Smartphone and "regular" edition can run each other's software. I'm not sure how true or well implemented it is though.

It seems like people are still forgetting that recent versions of Windows Mobile come in two flavors... Pocket PC and Smartphone. They are not the same thing.

GPXSonar, CacheMate, and other software written for Pocket PC will not run on the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile. Speaking for CacheMate, at least, I've no idea when or if I'll do a Smartphone version... there are a ton of UI issues to have to work around for a program that complex, one of the biggest being the lack of a touchscreen on those devices.

One of the "features" of WM5 is (supposed to be) that the Smartphone and "regular" edition can run each other's software. I'm not sure how true or well implemented it is though.

I'd say not well enough... at the very least, a program has to be packaged differently for each flavor, but it's not usually that simple.

Depending on the application in question, it may be possible to port it from Pocket PC to Smartphone and vice versa, as most of the APIs are the same. If a program makes use of a lot of Pocket PC specific features, though (like the touchscreen), then it's a lot harder.

I've used the same GSAK HTML export on my Smartphone and iPaq device. The iPaq display is larger (good for my aging eyes!) and the touch screen is a bit faster/easier than my phone's joy-button, but it feels like a "brick" in my pocket, plus feels just a bit fragile for outdoor use. My phone feels a bit more suited for this sort of use/abuse.

I would guess that a touch screen would not be totally necessary to run something like CacheMate on my phone. The joy-button provides all the necessary up-down, left-right html hopping & clicking I need to navigate effectively.

The limiting factor may simply be screen real estate. The Smartphone's screen and font is tiny, almost to the point of being a problem for my OLD eyes to see outddors. Cachemate and other similar tools have got more going on in the interface than I think could squeezed into a tiny screen.

The Cingular 2125 and the only WM Audiovox phone I've seen are running the Smartphone edition, while it seems that the Cingular 8125 is running Pocket PC.

I have been looking into getting an 8125. I wasn't aware that the 2125 and the 8125 were running different OS. That really leans me more toward the 8125. I'm itching to get it now!!!!!

well guys, thanks for all the info. looks like the GSAK HTML report will do it. Smartphone and PDA do run DIFFERENT OSs... I will try that. Any other idea, welcome. I will keep you posted...

etrekker_mtl

One thing you may want to try (I have the 2125 as well) is load Pocket Streets on your Smartphone and use GSAK to generate a POI file for Pocket streets. that and the GSAK HTML should give you everything but the ability to enter in Lat/long coordinates.