Two Geocache Questions

McWiley

I've been geocaching for a bit now, and really enjoy the time I can spend outside with my son. I wish I were independently wealthy so I could do it all the time, but I'm limited to weekend hunting due to a full time job. I do have two questions I'd like to ask the seasoned geocachers:

1. What percentage of caches contain less than inspiring loot? Don't get me wrong - I fully believe the hunt is the reward. However, I put a lot of time and effort into trying to find unique and interesting items to put in caches that I find. A lot of the time, though, they are filled with golf balls, fishing lures, or items I'm at a loss to define. Is this the norm?

2. My family will be taking a cruise in the near future and I think it would be really interesting to hunt a couple caches at the ports we'll be visiting. Is there any reason this wouldn't be advisable? Are there any instances of tourists walking around with GPS units getting thrown into foreign jails for suspected espionage?

Thanks.

Answer #1: My Experience - about 80% of caches don't have much in the way of "loot" - but you are doing right - trade up and set a good example - it is all any of us can do.

Answer #2: I haven't heard any stories of jailing/lockups but I suppose it is possible - just take practical safety steps that any tourist should and you should be fine.

I'd say Starbrand is on the money with his 80 percent estimate for question 1.

As far as getting locked up simply for having a GPS, check the laws of the country you are going to. I've never heard of someone getting locked up, but I read somewhere that they might not be legal in a handful of countries (I couldn't verify this through a Google search). I doubt any place you would go on a cruise starting in the US would be on this list, if it does exist.

I'd say Starbrand is on the money with his 80 percent estimate for question 1.

As far as getting locked up simply for having a GPS, check the laws of the country you are going to. I've never heard of someone getting locked up, but I read somewhere that they might not be legal in a handful of countries (I couldn't verify this through a Google search). I doubt any place you would go on a cruise starting in the US would be on this list, if it does exist.

I doubt this would be on a cruise itinerary, but I have read (may have changed) that Russia and many of its former satellite states are pretty strict about GPS use. I imagine that a similar situation may happen in China.

fishing lures

Fishing lures may not be to the liking of some people (except for maybe cash, what is?) but i sure wouldnt put them in the "items I'm at a loss to define" category. :unsure:

Good advice by StarBrand,, trading up or at least even is something we should all do!