'difficult' Drives And Terrain Ratings

JimmyEv

I've noticed some people beginning to increase the terrain rating of caches due to 'the long drive' to the cache or the fact that it's way out in the boonies down a maze of dirt roads. The caches are usually hidden within 100 feet of parking. Should these really be a three terrain? I was always under the impression that caches three or higher in terrain involved some sort of hiking. Am I wrong?

There is a lot of grey area when it comes to rating a cache. What I consider easy may be hard to others. Could be that the person had a hard time walking the 100', had to jump over a log and walk down a steep ditch. Whatever, I do not always check the D/T when searching for a cache, just read the logs.

The "Clay Jar" rating system has it's good points and bad points but how do you rate a light pole cache that is 15' off the ground or a 1/2 mile off trail bushwack cache or a cache hidden a 1/2 mile underground in a storm drain.

Am I wrong?

That all depends. A one star terrain rating should mean that any cacher's legs (or wheelchair) can get them to the cache. On the other hand, not everybody drives a high-clearance 4x4 vehicle. People drive to caches in all kinds of vehicles, and I see nothing wrong with indicating a terrain difficulty that is geared toward those vehicles, rather than the cachers' legs and feet.