Cache Permits Rules Etc.

Mitchell Gang

I am sadden by the fact that we are becomong so restricted in when/where/how caches can be placed at numerous different state and local parks. They do not hesitate to take my money to support these sites but trying to use them for a fun family activity is out of the question. I seems that for me a person who has very limited time for caching that hiding one has become a part time job. Until recently I was unaware of all these rules and simply hid them applied for approval. I think I will just continue this approach a little civil disobediance is good.

I am sadden by the fact that we are becomong so restricted in when/where/how caches can be placed at numerous different state and local parks. They do not hesitate to take my money to support these sites but trying to use them for a fun family activity is out of the question.

"Out of the question?" How can that be? There are permits out there for caches. It's not "out of the question" they're just wanting some control of what happens on the ground they manage.

Until recently I was unaware of all these rules and simply hid them applied for approval. I think I will just continue this approach a little civil disobediance is good.

Good for what? Making it harder for the rest of us? All we need is someone out there not playing by the rules to get caching completely banned in those parks.

Besides, what good would it do to hide caches without park permits just to get them turned down by your reviewer?

Bret

As long as the bureaucracy isn't too awful, which it won't be (most likely) if we play by the rules, the only thing this does is keep up from placing caches willy-nilly. Given the nature of park lands, that's a good thing. So no more ready-made containers to toss out of the window while driving by. We'll have to (gasp!) actually plan cache hides. :( Just my few pfennings.

I have to say that I am much more agitated by the admission fees to "my" parks and the lack of trash pickup than I am about the requirements for placing caches. Prior to the registration requirement, I have seen several caches in nature preserves where you weren't supposed to even leave the path, so I can see the desire on the part of the DNR to regulate where they go. I think/hope that as land managers become more comfortable with the idea that geocachers are responsible people who actually go to parks, they won't be quite as restrictive about the cache placement. At the moment things are a little strict, but that is usually the case when a new rule comes into effect.

joe

Given the nature of park lands, that's a good thing. So no more ready-made containers to toss out of the window while driving by. We'll have to (gasp!) actually plan cache hides.

Mighty high speak from a person whose latest cache is entitled "Tossed out of window; bring your own pen". I don't know Kelly. Seems a little wierd to me. But then what else is new? :)

BTW: My experience with Prophetstown state park last year was satisfactory. As per the rules I have now removed my caches after their year's existance. Joypa promises to "run the gamlet" this year and put out some caches in Prophetstown.

Edited by RPW

Prophetstown is a good example of how a park might handle cache placement. The one big concern I have about caches in general is that people will place them, lose interest and quit the hobby, leaving their geolitter where they placed it. Some will inevitably do this despite the fact that others may be willing to take them over or even dispose of them. This action has the potential to "ruin" geocaching in public lands that have bad experiences. Prophetstown's requirement that the owner come and remove his/her caches after a period of time is a very sensible solution to this problem.