Stupid 60csx Question Of The Day

I'm headed out this Friday for a 3-day backpacking trip into an area that has difficulty getting a sat lock on occasion due to the canyon walls. All I use is the Mapsource TOPO s/w; at least for now. Would I be better off downgrading to the proven code just to eliminate any unknown issue that could affect my GPS or do you think I'm safe to stick with 2.6.2.

-the hiking dude

If someone gives you an equally stupid answer and you end up locking your unit, then you will realize you should not ask such stupid questions.

I miss the forum feature that simply allows you to ignore some users. :D Review Geoid's other posts and then consider the source. . .

The main issue with this beta software seems to involve navigating by "follow road" using CS ver 7, viewing custom points of interest, and satellite searches when using the unit in "off" mode. Timpat outlines them here. None of these should be an issue for your application.

Many experieneced hikers prefer to take paper map and compass along as a backup, even when they have a high-end GPSr in hand. Electronics do fail. Just a thought.

Edited by Sputnik 57
If someone gives you an equally stupid answer and you end up locking your unit, then you will realize you should not ask such stupid questions.

Is this supposed to be a clever sarcastic reply based on the topic title? not even a smiley?

Instead it comes off as self-important and condescending, and hardly helpful to someone sincerely seeking legitimate advice. :D

Beta code is not the same as alpha code. I think he was basically asking if anybody has seen any significant bug the code that would make the unit unusable. I haven't seen any such report. But in the end, you have to decide how risk adverse you are, as we all do in all our activities. If my life were depend on a gps unit, I wouldn't use beta code until I've put it through its paces and can satisfy myself. Otherwise, I'd put in the proven code. That's me.

Edited by rpminmn