Found It!

Cyclometh

Some of you remember my earlier thread about finding a mark on private property. Well, I contacted the person who owned the property and went out there today. He seemed a bit bemused by the fact that someone would want to hunt survey marks, but wsa good enough to give me access to his beach.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recover the mark proper; it was on a rock covered in barnacles, but I was able to find one reference mark and the pin for another mark and learn a bit about local history.

Here's my report on GC.com: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?Pid=SY3256

I'm starting to find all kinds of interesting information about local history just on the survey marks, both existing and gone, around Budd Inlet. You can follow them in a pattern through time to see how development occured around here. It's a fascinating backdoor into history, and the mention of various persons in datasheets gives great jumpoff points for other research.

Some of you remember my earlier thread about finding a mark on private property. Well, I contacted the person who owned the property and went out there today. He seemed a bit bemused by the fact that someone would want to hunt survey marks, but wsa good enough to give me access to his beach.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recover the mark proper; it was on a rock covered in barnacles, but I was able to find one reference mark and the pin for another mark and learn a bit about local history.

Here's my report on GC.com: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?Pid=SY3256

I'm starting to find all kinds of interesting information about local history just on the survey marks, both existing and gone, around Budd Inlet. You can follow them in a pattern through time to see how development occured around here. It's a fascinating backdoor into history, and the mention of various persons in datasheets gives great jumpoff points for other research.

Very good log and pictures.

The whole benchmark hunting history has got you hooked, yes? :D

That is part of what keeps us going with this interesting hobby.

Congratulations! You earned this one.

Shirley~

I would have been scraping some barnacles! Didn't the owner want you to?

It seemed like he felt he was indulging me by letting me come onto the land and that I was being just a bit of an inconvenience. Maybe I just misread him. I didn't have tools to scrape barnacles with, though.

I have had the indulgent ones. I tend to ignore their "indulgentness" and assume they really are enjoying my visit though! I would have pleasantly asked if he minded if I scraped it off. I never leave home without my trusty backpack full of tools, among which is a camp shovel that would serve nicely as a barnacle scraper.

Are you sure it was even there? Did you see the disk shape under the barnacles?

I have had the indulgent ones. I tend to ignore their "indulgentness" and assume they really are enjoying my visit though! I would have pleasantly asked if he minded if I scraped it off. I never leave home without my trusty backpack full of tools, among which is a camp shovel that would serve nicely as a barnacle scraper.

Are you sure it was even there? Did you see the disk shape under the barnacles?

The guy indicated a certain fondness for the rock and called it "old blondie" for some reason. He was showing a few signs of impatience and I didn't want to wear out my welcome. Maybe I just don't handle things the same way you do, but I'm comfortable with how I handled things.

And no, I didn't see the station disk. In fact, I'm not sure there actually IS a station disk, as the desccription isn't clear on that point. It mentions both a disk and a hole. That's why I submitted a "poor", because the rock was there, but the actual mark was not visible. Since the station was actually a pin in a hole in the rock, that made the rock in my mind the most important feature of the station (it had been reset from the original drill hole 3 times since 1872).