Magellan Meridian Power Question

n003lb

I am new to GPS; My Meridian is my first venture into this field of technology. As such, I'm a little leary about trying something that may or may not harm it. When I bought it, the first one turned out to be defective and I had to get another. I really love geocaching, so I would prefer not to do anything to damage this one.

What I am curious about is if it is safe to disconnect the car power adaptor with the unit on? The manual says not to do this, but does that mean if I am using it in the truck, I have to shut off the GPS before I tuirn off the ignition? Seems like an awful waste of time, considering how long it takes the GPS to get a fix again when I turn it back on. I would much rather simply turn off the truck and unclip the Meridian from it's bracket and go.

I am asking this because I am afraid to just try it. When the first one I got failed, it did so immedatly after I took the batteries out without turning it off. I later discovered the problem was a broken battery clip, but it kinda burned into my memory that it happened when I did that. I just want to be safe this time. I doubt I could get another replacement sent to me, and this thing's rather expensive to have to buy another one.

I used my gold for about 3 years and never turned it off when disconnecting it or connecting it to the vehicle power, now thats not saying it won't damage the unit,but in my case it never did.

One thing to remember with the batteries install the neg. end first and remove the pos. end first.

Edited by vagabond

I have the Platinum and I unplugged the unit from the car with the batteries in. The screen came up indicating Loos Of External Power with the time. The unit stayed functioning when I acknowledged the screen and I then went geocaching with it. I don't think it would hurt the unit, the screen indicates the loss of power and drops to the internal batteries.

PS. The battery positive end is poorly made and can easily be bent out of shape. Use care when changing batteries and you shouldn't have a problem.

MeriPlat owner here. I have no problems with removing it and putting it on the quick disconnect with the power on both the vehicle and the unit. One thing to remember, when you do, the unit defaults to the backlight on. During the daytime, you can tell this by placing it close to the ear and listen for the high-pitched frequency that is produced when the backlight is on. A few seconds with the power button pushed in will turn it off. If you don't turn off the backlight if you don't need it, your batteries will drain much faster and can leave you in a lurch.

How long does it take your Meridian to get a fix after you turn it back on? When I do that w/my Gold, I have a fix in less than one minute, usually within 30 sec. :D:) If the manual outlines proper unit operation, it is usually a good idea to follow their recommendations.

Edited by Team Cotati

Interesting. Mine always seems to default the backlight OFF. Of course, I haven't used the car adaptor yet. The power point in my truck does not work right now. Hopefully, I'll remedy that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

I should clarify the backlight turns on when power from the vehicle is lost. I find it to be an odd default as it should be opposite to save the OB batteries.

How long does it take your Meridian to get a fix after you turn it back on? When I do that w/my Gold, I have a fix in less than one minute, usually within 30 sec. :):D If the manual outlines proper unit operation, it is usually a good idea to follow their recommendations.

I'll ditto this. Acquisition of the birds should be PDQ unless there is some real interference nearby.

I don't know why, but at times, mine takes as much as 5-8 minutes. I'd say maybe 70% of the time, it's done in about a minute, maybe a little longer. It usually doesn't bother me much, as I just make sure to turn the unit on a few minutes before I need it.

If I have to turn it off before I get out of the truck, then wait for it to reconnect, then it would be pretty annoying.

One last question. Is there an external antenna available that will work with the Meridian Gold?

I found one from Magellan, but they only list it for the Color. I thought these were identical except for the display. Problem is my truck, being an older truck with lots of heavy steel everywhere, is playing havoc with my reception. I don't like the idea of sticking an ugly black piece of plastic to it, but I figure I can mount it toward the rear and conceal it somewhat in the roof strobes, when I get them installed.

I guess if they don't make one, I'll just live with what I have. I was a little off in my last post. It usually takes the unit between 1 and 4 minutes to connect. I guess it just feels longer when I'm waiting on it. I decided to time it a few times. The 5 times I got were:

1:21

1:00

:58

3:12

3:59

Does this seem normal?

One last question. Is there an external antenna available that will work with the Meridian Gold?

Unlike the Meridian Color, your Gold doesn't have any connector for attachment of an external antenna.

But you could use any of several makes of 'Re-radiating' external antennas. PC-Mobile makes one that's AA powered and suitable for hiking and there are several other makes that are 12VDC powered that could be used in your truck.

Are those acquisition times for cases where the unit had a good lock immediately before and was just turned off momentarily and then turned back on? If so they seem on the long side.

My Meridian Gold locks on pretty fast. After the first time, If I turn it off then back on, its back in seconds. I know in the book they state not to pull the batteries out with it turned. I wouldn't think they would print that unless its a problem. Some might be lucky, but it appears you were not, nor would I be if I did it. Once you have inatilized that unit the first time, if should pretty much know where it is and come up quickly, at least this one does. YOur right, when you waiting it seems longer, but I've done like you and timed it and its much shorter. So far under the trees, I've had very good luck with getting solid signals on the Gold. Even in heavy hemlock cover it locks right on. I wish my Legend C did as well under the cover. Fact, I've lost signal with the legend C, pulled out the Gold, which is my backup unit and turned it on under the cover and it locks in and works far better than my Garmin. I'm finding in tree cover, and no leaves out here yet, that I'm using the Gold more and more. I bought my gold as refurbished and really can't complain about it. It replaced my Extrex yellow as my backup unit. For the price there is alot of bang for the buck with the Meridian Gold. I for sure like the large size screen. I can use it without my glasses....

SwampYankee

OK, something strange must have been happening. Do local radio wave or something else interfere with the GPS signals? I just tried it out again and it locks on much faster at my house. 5 tries, and all of them in less then a minute. When I do this at my parent's house, or somewhere in Wichita (where I'm caching right now), it takes a lot longer, though still not as long as those times I got before.

I don't have any experience with any other GPS units right now. 2 of my brothers have them, and that's all of the experience I have had with them. One brother bought the Meridian Color about a week before I got my Gold, and the other has been caching with a Garmin IQUE PDA for almost 2 years now. Unfortunatly, I have never had a chance to use his for anything.

OK, something strange must have been happening. Do local radio wave or something else interfere with the GPS signals? I just tried it out again and it locks on much faster at my house. 5 tries, and all of them in less then a minute. When I do this at my parent's house, or somewhere in Wichita (where I'm caching right now), it takes a lot longer, though still not as long as those times I got before.

I don't have any experience with any other GPS units right now. 2 of my brothers have them, and that's all of the experience I have had with them. One brother bought the Meridian Color about a week before I got my Gold, and the other has been caching with a Garmin IQUE PDA for almost 2 years now. Unfortunatly, I have never had a chance to use his for anything.

There are radio waves everywhere so I would not think those a problem. I'd say GPS satilites are line of site and in a pretty high frequency so I doubt there would be that kind of interference with the GPS signal unless you were say standing right next to a radio transmitting tower.

I'm wondeirng how far you came from where you initialized it the first time....They metion in the book aboutif a big move, 600 miles or so I think, that it would take a little longer for it to find the new satilites.

Is it possible to get with your brothers and see how fast theirs come up in the same place after you have brought it up once so it knows where it is? I have 2 Garmin, Legend C and Etrex Yellow, and cold the Gold comes up faster than all of them. Once its been up, the Legend C and the Gold come back about the same and its in seconds....

I usually turn it on, lay GPS on the hood or truck while I lock up and get my extra bag of goodies I bring with me hunting and its ready to go.... Fact I do that with both of them as I usually have a backup and I use it to Mark car position.I've never used it to return but I do it out of habit now. I prefer to bushwack even when there is a well mark trail..... I just enjoy the hunt...... I'm in Connecticut here and no problems except under heavy cover and so far the Meridian Gold has taken over when the others can't hold a good signal, both Garmins with the Patch antennas. The Gold seems to be a better antenna setup.... People around here like to hide stuff in the Pine stands or Hemlocks or cedars or big tree stands.... All spell, reflection of signal......yet so far, the Gold has come thru nicely...... See if you can get with another Gold user and see what they experience.......... Good luck.............SwampYankee

I've only been at this 3 months, but I go out pretty often as I'm retired.....There are a lot more people on here with years of experience, perhaps they will jump in. Brainsat is a great poster...Very well written and all seems based on experience....

There are radio waves everywhere so I would not think those a problem. I'd say GPS satilites are line of site and in a pretty high frequency so I doubt there would be that kind of interference with the GPS signal unless you were say standing right next to a radio transmitting tower.

Not entirely true. You can receive satellite signals as echoes. Line of sight is not necessary, but it will increase your accuracy.

You can have interference from high RF areas such as power transmission lines and microwave transmissions. The satellite signal can also be blocked by water sources and solid items that create shadows. That is, the item will change the configuration of your horizon.

Indoors or near structures, you'll see more interference when there is more metal nearby than wood. Acquisition will be slower and echoes can cause acquisition problems as the GPS tries to gain a lock

Btw, I did read somewhere that placing the GPS on the car doesn't help it, but will actually slow the acquisition down. I don't entirely understand why, but I find setting the GPS away from the vehicle actually gains an acquisition faster than on top of the vehicle.

Edited by TotemLake

Btw, I did read somewhere that placing the GPS on the car doesn't help it, but will actually slow the acquisition down. I don't entirely understand why, but I find setting the GPS away from the vehicle actually gains an acquisition faster than on top of the vehicle.

This might be because satallite signals bounce off of a vehicle's body more easily than off the ground or a tree. Theoretically, this would cause the GPS to think the satallite is comming from another direction. I don't really know exactly how these work, so I may be way off here.

Powerlines might be part of the problem. There is a set of cross country high voltage lines that run within a quater mile of the house. I suppose they might be causing some of the problems. So far, the farthest I have traveled with the unit has been 140 miles last weekend when my brother (another one) and I went to Ottawa to get a pickup. I turned the unit on here and left it on almost the entire distance. Other than that, it has traveled no more than 50 miles from where I initialized it.

I noticed also, it takes a lot longer to connect when in a moving vehicle. I would assume this is because it is having to update it's position while trying to connect to the satallites. Also, I just remembered when we took it to Ottawa, it connected a lot faster up there, when we were stopped. Maybe it's just something about my parents' place. Maybe there is some kind of magnetic interference there or something.

Edited by n003lb

This might be because satallite signals bounce off of a vehicle's body more easily than off the ground or a tree. Theoretically, this would cause the GPS to think the satallite is comming from another direction. I don't really know exactly how these work, so I may be way off here.

Powerlines might be part of the problem. There is a set of cross country high voltage lines that run within a quater mile of the house. I suppose they might be causing some of the problems. So far, the farthest I have traveled with the unit has been 140 miles last weekend when my brother (another one) and I went to Ottawa to get a pickup. I turned the unit on here and left it on almost the entire distance. Other than that, it has traveled no more than 50 miles from where I initialized it.

I noticed also, it takes a lot longer to connect when in a moving vehicle. I would assume this is because it is having to update it's position while trying to connect to the satallites. Also, I just remembered when we took it to Ottawa, it connected a lot faster up there, when we were stopped. Maybe it's just something about my parents' place. Maybe there is some kind of magnetic interference there or something.

Most usuable signals from satilites would be direct line of site. At least thats how they were intended to be used and why their orbit keeps them in view. If your seeing solid lines for satilites and getting say 3D on the screen or WAAS, they should be pretty good. There are exceptions, but its not the norm, or at least not here.

I lay it on the car because its handy while I lock up. Never a planed useage for it as a collector or reflector of signals, just a stationary platform thats snow free and the hoods warm. They do aquire signals fast if not moving, even walking at first. Once you aquire them, then your good to go. It may be your location. Easy way to see if hook up with someone else with one at the same time and see. Your right, 50 miles difference should not effect it. In the time it takes for my car to warm a little its locked on and seeing the birds. Be it in my truck, RV or car. I use the legend C for travel because of the autorouting and no problems at all. My problems have been tree cover so far. I don't frequent the citys unless I have to so can't give you any findings are that with mine.

I did EME probagation for a lot of years on 6 meters, Moonbounce signals via ham radio and can pretty much assure you that echoe signals are not your problem with your GPS. Anything I guess is possible, but would not be a prime factor on a daily basics. I work 80 thr 20 meters daily on HF and reflected signals are what we rely on at different ehights above the earth for probagation.

Once you get a solid lock, and its should all your birds, you should be good to go. I hold it upright in front of me. If I stuff it in a pocket or backpack it will mess it up, especially if its upside down but its hard to read upside down....LOL.......

I guess is possible it has a loose wire to the antenna, or cold solder joint. How did the other one work before the battery problem?

George WA1NLA