Getting Started

nickypi

Oooh... so many options!

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want minimal functions (tells you where you are, tells you which way a geocache is)?

Or the whole nine yards (many waypoints, many routes, mapping, expandable memory etc)?

If you are new to the whole GPS/navigation thing and reluctant to blow a whole lotta money on some gizmo then I'd suggest a basic to mid-range unit. Something under, say, R2000.

Cape Union Mart (believe it or not!) actually has pretty good prices, but they only stock Garmin.

Which brings us to the next devide: almost everyone here will tell you to go with Garmin (instead of Magellan). And they're right! Arguably better product support, more extras for your money, excellent functionality, better battery life.

bear&fox

Edited by bear&fox

I've heardof people getting some out of the Cape Ads. try looking around for a cheap second hand one, use it for a few months and decide what features you need as opposed to want. I only started using some features of mine after a year of owning it. but I really like it now.

My opinion, get something compact. Fit in the pocket to hide from muggles.