Garmin Mcx Connectors

GeoidPS

Where can I find an extra MCX plug? I extra cable from my antenna so that I would use a piece for a second mcx connector and splice it to the cable.

Anyone have any success doing this?

Hope you're familiar with impedance matching and reflection issues at microwave frequencies. There's also the issue of the power for the antenna amplifier coming from the GPS receiver. Which one will it come from and how will the other unit know to switch to the external?

External antennas are cheap - get a second one.

"External antennas are cheap - get a second one."

Maybe it's not cost, maybe he wants to hold 2 GPSr's at once and two external antennas would be bulky?

Ok, external antennas are small - get a second one. The point is that there are lots of issues with 'splicing' cables that are carrying microwave frequencies. Unless GeoidPS really knows what he's doing (not evidenced by previous posts) he's likely to just destroy the antenna he has now.

Rudeness aside, I understand there are 2 types of MCX connectors, 50 ohm and 75 ohm. However, I was going by the assumption that since cable TV cables are coaxial and can be split to 2 connections, this could be done for the MCX cable also.

I assume that the Gilsson/Garmin MCX ables are 50 ohms?

I would be using this for my c320 with City Select, and my 60cs with 24K topo. 24K is navigable and shows jeep trails not shown on City Select. That way when I leave the main drag, I can navigate off-road with the 60cs.

Edited by GeoidPS

Rudeness aside, I understand there are 2 types of MCX connectors, 50 ohm and 75 ohm. However, I was going by the assumption that since cable TV cables are coaxial and can be split to 2 connections, this could be done for the MCX cable also.

I assume that the Gilsson/Garmin MCX ables are 50 ohms?

I would be using this for my c320 with City Select, and my 60cs with 24K topo. 24K is navigable and shows jeep trails not shown on City Select. That way when I leave the main drag, I can navigate off-road with the 60cs.

Trade up to a 60 c(s)x and you won't need an antenna. Mine is hanging here in my shop with all doors closed and no windows with hard locks on 10 satellites and it's saying 14' accuracy.

If you can find an impedance matching Y connector, that also isolates the power feeds, it MIGHT work. But, I would have sincere doubts.