Internal Power Source Of Geko 101

yrcko

Hello

The manual of Geko 101 states that internal data may be deleted if the receiver is stored without batteries for a longer time. I also noticed that the internal clock runs also without batteries. This suggests that the Geko has an internal power source. Does anybody know the type of this power source? Has it to be replaced sometimes like a lithium battery? Or is it something like a condensator or accumulator? If yes, how long are the data hold?

Hello

The manual of Geko 101 states that internal data may be deleted if the receiver is stored without batteries for a longer time. I also noticed that the internal clock runs also without batteries. This suggests that the Geko has an internal power source. Does anybody know the type of this power source? Has it to be replaced sometimes like a lithium battery? Or is it something like a condensator or accumulator? If yes, how long are the data hold?

Recent Garmins use an internal capacitor (sometimes also called a condensor) that holds enough charge to keep the internal clock going. Older Garmins (like the III+, 12 series, etc.) used a rechargeable lithium button cell. I believe the capacitor in my eMaps will keep the clock running for at least a couple weeks - not sure about the Geko. It shouldn't need to be replaced.

I'm surprised by the comment about losing data since I was under the impression that recent Garmins stored all data in non-volatile memory.