Gpsmap 60cx Vs Quest2

rpminmn

Hi,

I've just recently been looking to get a portable GPS unit. I will be using it primarily motorcycling, secondly in my car, and thirdly recreationally (hiking/boating).

I'm looking for somthing, small, battery operated, ability to plug into external power (eg cigarette lighter), waterproof, good tracking (want to see where I've been), build a library of waypoints based on addresses, enough memory to hold the whole usa (would like to plans some tours across the country), excellent route planning on a PC and storing multiple routes, autorouting when asked.

I was looking at the Qwest2 since it's comes with the whole USA and Canada, plus extra memory to upload some other maps, but it's not expandable (bad thing?). It's had excellent reviews regarding it's navigational capabilities. The battery is Li ion, but doesn't appear to be consumer replaceable (or is it?).

Then I see that the 60Cx (and 76Cx) might be able to do everything the Qwest can do, if I upgrade the microSD card to 1GB and buy the garmin maps. In the end, the prices between the two seem pretty comparable.

The Quest2 has voice navigation, while the 60Cx does not. That's not a big deal for me. The 60Cx will beep when the next turn comes up (I think). The 60Cx has a more sensitive chipset (SiRF), uses AA batteries, and is easily upgradable.

Does the Quest2 do anything better than the 60Cx that I should know about? GUI Interface? Navigational? better for car/motorcyle?

Screen resolution appears to be identical, with the 60Cx being in 'portrait' orientation, and the qwest oriented in 'landscape.'

thanks!

Bob

To me, the two main differences between these units are the form factor and the preloaded maps in the Quest2. I have an original Quest and a 60Cx. I would not want to take the Quest hiking because its design, including the fold out antenna and need to recharge the batteries are not conducive to field use (although the Quest battery life is very good). The Quest does not seem as rugged as the 60Cx or really designed for hiking use. The Quest is great for car use and would probably be fine on a motorcycle or boat too. And with the Quest2 you are getting preloaded detailed maps for the whole US. The basemap in the 60Cx is minimal and you really need to buy the Garmin City Navigator DVD (about $130) to add detail and routing. You can't currently add enough memory to the 60Cx to load the entire US at once on one card even if you buy a 1GB card so if having the whole country loaded in memory at once is essential the the Quest2 wins. My $.02 would be that if your priorities are the car, motorcycle and boat and very little hiking use then go with the Quest2 but if you want a GPS for any real hiking use get the 60Cx. These are both great units and in my opinion each is among the best of its type, but they really have two different intended uses.

Edited by GPSGuy

I just bought a GPS 60csx and love it. I use it for navigation in my car and for geocaching. The street navigation is fantastic. The interface is intuitive and well thought out. The antenna is incredible; I can sit in the middle of my two story house and still pick up 10 satellites. Garmin’s Map Source software could use some work, but overall I am very pleased with my purchase.

Jotne,

The quest II is still being sold in The Netherlands (that is inside Europe :rolleyes: ).

with the full European maps installed. There seem to be no limitations in delivery.

Jos

Quest 2 has been removed from the marked in Europe, it was to slow.

60Cx has SiRF that make the reception far more better.

60Cx has removable battery "aa" so you can get new one.

If you ask me, do not buy the Quest 2

thanks for great comments!

I ordered the 60cx. I have a 256MB card I can use right away. Sandisk has recently announced 1GB and 2GB microSD cards, and hopefully they'll be available sometime soon. In the meantime I'll just load the local stuff I need.

thanks again,

Bob

Edited by rpminmn

Will the 60csx work with a 2gig card?

I have one in the mail and it looks like you need about 1.5gig for the whole mapset (cityselect V6.0).

thanks for great comments!

I ordered the 60cx. I have a 256MB card I can use right away. Sandisk has recently announced 1GB and 2GB microSD cards, and hopefully they'll be available sometime soon. In the meantime I'll just load the local stuff I need.

thanks again,

Bob

Where did you find information about 2GB. At Sandisk they only have listed 1GB

oops... they announced the 2GB miniSD card, not the microSD. My mistake...

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom...se.aspx?ID=3229

- edit...

just did a little checking, and maybe they did and maybe they didn't...

one of the lines in in a press release last summer about the 512MB microSD card, they said, "The company expects to have a 1-gigabyte (GB) microSD card by the end of the year and a 2GB card in 2006."

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom...se.aspx?ID=1428

they're a little late with the 1GB card, so maybe we can expect the 2GB card in early 2007?

-bob

Edited by rpminmn