All Scouts Boy Girl And Cub In Geocaching

conejo

Some of the volunteers in Cub Scout Packs have recognized the synergy of geocaching and Cub Pack programs. It can help you meet the National Summetime Pack Award/Pins, Outdoor Activity Award, Leave No Trace Award, and a number of cub scout rank specific requirements.

I've started a discussion on the topic of "Treasure Hiking" as I've named it at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162779

I haven't heard anything on how the Philmont Training Course session on "Geocaching & Boy Scouting" went. Good? bad? whatever?

Just talked to my Ranger Sister... She dosen't remember much about it from last year, but I just looked it up and its from the 16th to the 23rd of June... Any geo-addics going??

Steak

I haven't heard anything on how the Philmont Training Course session on "Geocaching & Boy Scouting" went. Good? bad? whatever?

Just talked to my Ranger Sister... She dosen't remember much about it from last year, but I just looked it up and its from the 16th to the 23rd of June... Any geo-addics going??

Steak

Who's your Ranger Sister? I went there last year and will be there this year to help conduct the course.

<edit: I read back and see that she was on staff last year. I thought you meant she was in the class.>

Edited by ScoutingWV

The Geocaching to Promote Scouting week long course was held last week and it was a great experience for 25 Scouters from around the country. If you are interested in seeing the slideshow from the course got to

http://www.geoscouting.com/introduction.html

You can also share your ideas and the discussions of the participants at the forum.

http://www.geoscouting.com/resources.html#forum

Steak

Strangely Her name is also Steak. She's on staff out there this year too... and just got done doing the 14er up in CO.

Steak

We held our last Summer activity on August 24, 2009 to finish up our Summertime Pack Activity Award. We laid out 8 Geocaches at Hallinan Elementary School and had a "Get in the Game" Geocache evening.

We started the evening out by going over the rules of Geocaching, how to work the GPS units, how to treat the cache. We explained how the game started in the Oregon City area by an engineer who posted the coordinates of his first cache on a usenet group about GPS units.

After 10 minutes of talking and questions we set off. The boys then teamed up into groups of three and set out on the course to find at least one of eight caches. Each cache had a "password" to record to earn a Geocaching segment for their uniforms. Once the cache was logged they set off on another cache hunt. Each boy had the chance to lead the team by using the GPS unit to take them to the approximate area of the cache. They then spent time "treasure hunting" for the cache.

The boys were quick to pick up on things like sticks do not pile up in a group all facing the same direction. Trampled vegetation may lead to an area of heavy use or a hidden cache. It was a fun evening to introduce the boys to GPS units and the game of Geocaching.

We spent 10 minutes on the how things work and over an hour hunting caches. The boys had a good time and we had a great parent turn out too. The boys learned a little about the 100th Anniversary celebration and the upcoming fun things we have planned for the BSA 100th Anniversary.

You can work in Cache In Trash Out, Leave No Trace, Buddy System (hug a tree) There are plenty of activities for all Cub Ranks. Just about anything you wanted to teach can be added to a geocaching night. I want to do a song cache night where each cache has a different cub scout song to learn. How about Bobcat caches with the 8 points for their Bobcat badge... Motto, Sign, etc...

Ask if your council has a Get in the Game! committee for the 100th anniversary. Several councils are using geocaching for membership drives and alumni events.