Gps Recever For Hiking With A Pocket Pc

What GPS receiver for Pocket PC would you recommend for hiking in a wooded, mountainous environment? I was in the middle of testing some mapping programs when my Haicom 303 MMF CF receiver went caput. It is no longer functional.

I have a Dell Axim X50 (416) running WM 2003SE.

The 303 separated at the neck of the CF attachment. To avoid this problem in the future I am looking strongly at Bluetooth receivers but am open to suggestions.

I have scanned the reviews of GPS receivers on this site but am still a little confused.

By the way how has receiver performance changed since the 303 came out? I was fairly pleased with the reception I got from it.

I appreciate any comments.

I appreciate all the imput you all have given.

I use a Globalsat BC-337 that fits my CF slot.

I bought the CF/GPS receiver over 2 years ago. The PDA I owned at that time (an Axim 5X basic) did not have Bluetooth. I now own a PDA with Bluetooth. Is there a compelling reason to replace the broken CF/GPS receiver with another CF/ GPS receiver instead of a Bluetooth model?

Thanks

The first Sirf III's were in BT only. I waited about 1 to 1 1/2 years for a Sirf III that came in CF configuration. I didn't want a second device, the BT, that had to be charged ("what, another cable?" or "rats, it's dead!) and walked with (I need the other hand for my walking stick and to grab things as I'm falling down). As you know, the CF just slips into the CF slot and that's the end of it. They're cheaper and I assume more reliable as there are less things inside to break.

It is true that my PPC does not fit into its case with the CF inserted. You do have to make sure you don't damage the PPC/CF but then againh with the BT you have two things to worry about.

The Holux 236 is great.

Keep it plugged into the car whilst driving to the start of the walk. 10 hours use while you are there should get you up and down the hills. and the Srif starIII means locks in most places.

I stick it in the pocket of my backpack and forget about it.

You can also get a spare battery for it which you can change as an when. Personally, I think the PDA battery will run out of life way before the GPSr.

Oh, and I use my CF and SD slots for memory cards so I don't have the space.

Simon

Edited by SimonC_Here

BUT your Pocket PC (aka PDA aka PPC) will only last a few hours maybe even as short as two hours with BLUETOOTH running, and you looking at the screen trying to zero into the cache.

The Holux 236 is great.

Keep it plugged into the car whilst driving to the start of the walk. 10 hours use while you are there should get you up and down the hills. and the Srif starIII means locks in most places.

You can also get a spare battery for it which you can change as an when. Personally, I think the PDA battery will run out of life way before the GPSr.

Simon

BUT your Pocket PC (aka PDA aka PPC) will only last a few hours maybe even as short as two hours with BLUETOOTH running, and you looking at the screen trying to zero into the cache.

The Holux 236 is great.

Simon

I think 2 hours is a little short, My hx4700 will last, running Tomtom which is really power hungry for at least 4 hours and I do carry a backup just in case. As to finding a cache, personally, if I have got to ground zero I don't bother with the GPS, I turn it off and look for likely trees/Rocks/Piles of sticks!

As to walking, as the OP is interested in, if I didn't have my GPS, and was walking with a map/compass, I wouldn't have it out all the time anyway. No different with the PDA.

I turn it on; find out where I am and where I need to go; sight on a land mark and walk to it. As the GPSr isn't turned off it keeps it's fix and the PDA is in sleep/off so not using the Bluetooth or display.

Whilst walking I don't need to know that the cache is 3.43Km away, then 3.42Km; 3.41Km etc.

Simon

That has not been my experience. Using Memory-map, both my PDA (QTek S110 with bluetooth AND the phone enabled) and my GPS (Holux 236) lasts almost precisely 10 hours in normal hiking use. The backlight is off for most of the time, obviously.

The other advantage of this combo is that they both have a USB charger input, so I can use the same charger for both (and charge them at the office without any additional hardware).

In general, Bluetooth has some great advantages over CF:

- double the battery life (you have two batteries altogether)

- you can put the GPS in your backpack where it gets great reception

- you can use your regular PDA case/pouch/whatever

- it's future-proof -- CF slots are disappearing from the PDAs really fast

- it doesn't use a slot that could host memory :rolleyes:

The disadvantage:

- you need to charge the GPS separately (and if you are unlucky enough to need different chargers, you need two chargers)

I use a Toshiba e-830 with a USGlobalSat BC-307 CF GPS Receiver with Pocket Streets when I'm driving & GPSDASH 4 when I'm caching. I get about 5 hours with the back light on the lowest setting on the main battery. When I plug in my Nimh rechargeable battery pack(4-2500 AA's) I can get 16+ hours total run time. If I use "screen off" software, i'll last for days. (The screen off software turns off your screen, saving battery power but leaves your PDA on keeping your GPS hot, also one the cool options is linking the screen off function to a pda button so you turn your screen on & off quickly & easily) You can get a freeware version here:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14498

I chose the CF card over bluetooth just because of the power drain issue and the multiple batteries/charging complication (although I do have to charge the battery pack). With bluetooth on I get 3-4 hours on my main battery.

I use my setup in the woods all the time but I bought an Otterbox 3600 case and use it religiously. My first night out with it, I (275 #'s) fell fully on top of it after slipping on a patch of ice. I came out bruised, the PDA didn't even turn off, the case wasn't scratched but my stainless steel thermos looked like a crushed pop can. If you use your PDA on the trail I'd suggest you invest in one of these cases, they are absolutely bullet proof!

http://www.otterbox.com/products/pda_cases/3600/

I also have an HX4700. Turning the radio on does severly impact overall battery life, though what I've seen is it is less than when the 802.11 radio is turned on. The HX4700 has amazing battery life, and I've owned MANY PDAs over the years. One might wish to check at Amazon and eBay for the extened-life battery too. Doubles the standard battery's life; downside is it protrudes from the back of the unit, making most cases unusable.

Bottom line: BLUETOOTH on continuously (when you are storing a track that you are walking) will kill a battery in less than five hours.

One person said this IS NOT true. Can I hear more opinions about BLUETOOTH killing the PDA batteries?

If this is directed at me I never said that I was storing a track. I disconnect the BT as some software apps don't like it if you just kill the BT connection by turning off the PDA.

I'm not saying BT doesn't drain the battery, I just wonder how it compares to the power being drained by a CF receiver?

Simon