Meridian Gold - Topo3d - Sd Card Problem

n003lb

I am having a little bit of a problem here. I just pickup up a Meridian Gold and a 256 MB SD Card. My brother has a Meridian Color Travel Package that included MapSend Topo 3D. I'm trying to load a detailed map from that to my SD card and then onto my GPS. I get the map to load the the SD Card without a problem, but I can't get the GPS to use it.

The instructions say to press the Menu key, then select Card Utilities to load the new map. Well, my GPS does not have a "Card Utilities" in the menu.

What am I doing wrong?

If the card is in the GPS, and "Card Utilities" is not a menu option, then the unit is not recognizing the card. You should try reformating the card on the computer in FAT16, and try the process again. If that doesn't work, then you may need to use another card.

Have you tried scrolling down? From the Map page its actually off screen and you have to scroll to it. (A faster way is to press the up arrow). Its third from the bottom on that page. From the satellite page it shows right on the bottom of the screen.

JDandDD

When you say "picked up", did you mean new (or almost so)? Very early Meridian's didn't support card functions like that, and didn't have that menu entry. if very old, you might have to update the firmware (files & instructions on Magellan website).

OR - a friend of mine tried a "Multimedia" card in his Color Meridian, and we couldn't get it to work, no matter what we tried, but it worked fine in my Meridian Platinum. Strange. Make sure it is an "SD" card, not a "Multimedia" card. They look the same, fit physically, and are interchangeable electronically SOMETIMES.

What I have is a refurbished unit from eBay. I would rather have gotten a brand new one, but I managed to get this one for a real good price. Firmware version is 5.40, so it should be able to read the cards.

If, after reformatting my card to FAT16, and it still doen't work, then how do I know what card to buy? This one was a Lexar Media 256mb SD card. How will I know the next one won't do the same thing? I don't really want to be stuck with the little 64mb cards that Magellan sells.

And yes, I have scrolled all the way through the menu. Card Utilities is not there.

I will work on it tomorrow. My computer does not have the MapSend software, nor does it have an SD Card reader. I'll have to work on it on my brother's computer, which I'll be able to do tomorrow.

Mapsend Topo 3D requires the serial number of the unit you are using be entered, and codes that information into the map file. If you haven't changed the default serial number from someone else's software, your GPS will not be able to read the file. I know, I tried it.

I did enter my serial number.

I just tried reformatting the card to basic FAT format and it changed nothing. I guess that means I'll have to get another card. Any recomendations? I don't want to go buy another one just to find out it does the same thing. Any particular brand that might work better? I am currently trying to use a Lexar card.

It has been a long time since I have heard of SD card incompatibilities in Magellans, so I tend to suspect that it may be this card in particular rather than a brand--though I understand your caution. I think I have used Lexar cards in my Meridian and Explorist in the past.

Anyway, most any card *should* work. I personally stick to major brands to hedge the probability of manufacturing defects or noncompatibility issues. Specifically, I have used Sandisk, Kingston, and Viking cards with no problems.

Since you are not sure of what's going on with your unit yet, you might want to look around for a good rebate deal on a smaller card (to minimize your investment...you might find with a second card that the problem remains, which would shift focus to a problem in the GPS).

Just looking through a few things at buy.com:

Viking 1Gb $25 after rebate

Viking 512mb $16 after rebate

If you poke around, you might find a 256mb that's free after rebate.

Well, I just went to Wally World and found another Lexar card for $17 bucks. I might have gotten a better deal at CompUSA or Best Buy, but I wasn't going there for anything else. I needed oil for my truck, and the only place I could get both was Wally's (Wal-Mart). After getting home, I loaded a map of my area onto this new 128mb card and it works. I guess I just got a bad card before.