Garmin Gps 60csx Loading City Navigator...unlock ?

KevinK7

...I'm brand new at all this, so forgive the 'dumb' questions... :wub:

I'm trying to unlock City Navigator, ...but it hangs up my PC.

I did not yet receive my GPSMAP60CSX, ...but was trying to install the City Navigator 7.0 software to my PC (WinXP). Seemed to install fine, ..but when 'unlock wizard' goes to connect to internet, ...it hangs up and I have to power off PC to clear. Bottom line, I haven't been able to unlock the software yet.

Do I need to have the GPS 60CSX Drivers/Waypoint software installed first?

...any advice would be helpful

Other Newbie questions:

Can I load the City Navigator to more than one PC? (ie. My home PC and my work PC?)

I've also purchased the Mapsource TOPO, ...does it load 'on top' of the City Navigator maps? ...where I would have both the road detail and topo detail in a map view?

Thanks,

Kevin

I'll tackle the last two first. Yes you can install MapSource and City Navigator/Topo maps on multiple PCs. Garmin's copy protection keeps you from uploading City Navigator maps to more than two GPSrs, but not from loading it to multiple computers for your own use.

You can load both Topo and City Nav maps to your GPSr at the same time, but can't display them both simultaneously. It is a fairly simple matter to toggle between the two. More about this topic in questions 7-9 of the Maps Section of the FAQ.

Edit: As to question 1, since you are unlocking maps for a GPSr, and not a computer, I'm betting you'll need to have the GPSr attached to unlock them. Garmin is pretty finicky about how its drivers get loaded. Wait until you get the 60CSx and then follow the instructions carefully.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Sputnik, ...Thanks for the reply...

...The unlock issue was due to the firewall I have installed on the home computer (I should have remembered).

The work-around was to visit Garmin's site and manually go through the unlock process.

For future reference (other newbies), ...In order to unlock the Mapsource software (in my case City Navigator) you will need the SERIAL# from your GPS unit when you perform the unlock.

Kevin

small correction about seeing only one map type at one time.

You can see bove at the same time.

Go to yahoogroup mapdekode in the file section.

The program transp2a can make a map transparant; you copie your topo map (from c;\Garmin\ map 534?

-first you install mapdecode (all three)

-then transp2a will work after installing

-with one simple klik you make the copie map 534? transparant

Then you install img2gps (also freeware) You use this program for uploading the maps to your Garmin GPS

-first you upload City Navigator (city select \ metroguide) (push button second time)

-then you upload your transparant topo copie 534?

mark the one's you want and consider you can use much less memory then you think you have.

So when you uploaded your maps to the gps but can't see them;

It was to much. This is very important.

So try two small pieces from each first. Take some more later until you are up to your max.

With the right type of routing (car)

you still can autoroute and see the detail from the topo. (tested)

for the picture see this german site.

http://www.naviboard.de/index.php?showtopic=12429&st=20

Thanks to Peter from Austria.

ps in mapsource in MAP you can see the names of the maps you want to upload with IMG2gps

Edited by dusee