Why Waypoints And Not Geocaches?

Just got my brand new 60Cx today. What a nice unit.

I uploaded some geocaches from MapSource to the GPSr, and was surprised to find them under the Waypoint category, and not under the Geocaching category, when using find.

Is there a way to send geocaches to the Geocache category? Or how do they end up rhere?

Did I miss something?

Any help appreciated.

-GD

You have to change them to the little treasure chest icon. With some waypoints open In MapSource, click on the "Waypoints" tab, and then click on a waypoint in the list. Then press an hold down the "Ctrl" and press the "A" key. That will highlight all of the waypoints in the list. Then RIGHT-Click anywhere in the list and then select "Waypoint(s) Properties". Click on the drop-down button to the right of "Symbol" and then select the geocache closed treasure chest icon. Then Click the "OK" button. That will change all of the waypoints to the desired geocache icon. Then you can send them to your GPSr.

You have to change them to the little treasure chest icon. With some waypoints open In MapSource, click on the "Waypoints" tab, and then click on a waypoint in the list. Then press an hold down the "Ctrl" and press the "A" key. That will highlight all of the waypoints in the list. Then RIGHT-Click anywhere in the list and then select "Waypoint(s) Properties". Click on the drop-down button to the right of "Symbol" and then select the geocache closed treasure chest icon. Then Click the "OK" button. That will change all of the waypoints to the desired geocache icon. Then you can send them to your GPSr.

Thanks for that. This was not what I wanted to hear.

I just finished setting up custom icons, so the GPSr shows Traditional, Multi, Mystery and so on, icons. This works great, except the caches show up under the waypoint category.

I guess I now will have to decide what is most importent to me: the catagory or the icons ;)

Thanks again.

_GD

I just finished setting up custom icons, so the GPSr shows Traditional, Multi, Mystery and so on, icons. This works great, except the caches show up under the waypoint category.

Like I said, you can choose which icon is your geocache icon in the geocache setup menu on the unit. You can't have all of your custom icons be geocaches, but you can at least set your 'traditionals' icon to be the geocaching icon, and then all of your traditional caches will come up as geocaches in the unit (but multis, virts, etc... will still be waypoints). It's not perfect, but at least you aren't stuck with the lame treasure chest :unsure:.

GCset01.GIFGCset02.GIFGCset03.GIF

I hope this is an easy question for someone here. Is there a way to set up mapsource to automatically assign the "proper" icon to the various types of geocaches? E.g. If I import a gpx file, can it automatically assign the traditional cache icon to traditionals, the multi icon to multis and mystery icon to mystery (assuming that I have these icons set up as my custom icons)? If mapsource can't do it, can GSAK, insofaras sending those correct icons to the GPSr? I understand the previous posts about manually changing the icons, but that could take a bit more time.

Thanks

starcr250

In GSAK, I believe you can do custom icons, but even better would be to use the Smart Name feature.

That way, all the Geocaches will have the Treasure Chest icon and the GPSr will offer the Geocaching features.

This feature gives you the Name of the cache, followed by the the Size of the container, the Type of the cache, and even the Difficulty and Terrain rating. At a glance I know whether I am looking for a Traditional, Multi, or Virtual.

This is the code I use in GSAK for sending the Geocaches to my GPSr.

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%Dif1%Ter1

I put the name first so it is easier to search by "Name," instead of by "Nearest."

I hope this is an easy question for someone here. Is there a way to set up mapsource to automatically assign the "proper" icon to the various types of geocaches? E.g. If I import a gpx file, can it automatically assign the traditional cache icon to traditionals, the multi icon to multis and mystery icon to mystery (assuming that I have these icons set up as my custom icons)? If mapsource can't do it, can GSAK, insofaras sending those correct icons to the GPSr? I understand the previous posts about manually changing the icons, but that could take a bit more time.

Thanks

starcr250

I don't think you can open a GPX file in MapSourc, and have MS show your custom icons.

In fact, I know you can't, I just tried it. All you get are the open/closed treasure chests.

You can do it from GSAK, exporting a GDB file to MapSource.

Assuming you already have your custom icons set up, do this in GSAK:

1. Open the database containing the waypoints you want to send to you GPSr.

2. Click File=>Export=>MapSource File

3. In the box click "change" under the list of icons.

4. Click radio button "Cache Type Only".

5. Go down the list matching cache type to the icons you want, using your custom icons.

6. Export to MapSource using "MapSource Version" 6-GDB and "open MapSource" checked.

MapSource will open with your icons listed.

When you transfer them to the GPSr the caches show up under "Waypoints", not under "Caches".

Depending on your model GPSr, you don't have to go through MapSource. In GSAK click

GPS=> Send Waypoints, and change your icons in that box. This won't work with the Cx models

Hope this helps

-GD

Occassional cacher (when nephews and nieces visit) long time lurker, first time poster.

Just purchased a 60csx, set up geocache icons as above on the GPSr (factory default, btw). Downloaded a loc file from geocaching.com, opened it in Mapsource - all icons are closed treasure chests (again a default when getting caches from geocaching.com), sent it to the GPSr. They are listed as waypoints AND geocaches. Just want them listed as geocaches on the GPSr. Want to know where I went wrong.

Edited by selig

They are listed as waypoints AND geocaches. Just want them listed as geocaches on the GPSr. Want to know where I went wrong.

You didn't do anything wrong, Garmin considers caches waypoints. Making a waypoint a geocache gives it added functionality, but it still remains a waypoint.

They are listed as waypoints AND geocaches. Just want them listed as geocaches on the GPSr. Want to know where I went wrong.

You didn't do anything wrong, Garmin considers caches waypoints. Making a waypoint a geocache gives it added functionality, but it still remains a waypoint.

Bugger

Waypoint Catagories would be a nice feature, or at least a "Favorites", waypoints you reference more than others, etc.

You can give your favorite waypoints a unique symbol, and then with waypoints listed, hit MENU>>Select Symbol>>ENTR and select the symbol that you are using for your favorite places.

Another approach is to create a route that contains only the waypoint for your favorite place. You can then route to that point from wherever you are.

Thanks

starcr250

I don't think you can open a GPX file in MapSourc, and have MS show your custom icons.

In fact, I know you can't, I just tried it. All you get are the open/closed treasure chests.

5. Go down the list matching cache type to the icons you want, using your custom icons.

6. Export to MapSource using "MapSource Version" 6-GDB and "open MapSource" checked.

When you transfer them to the GPSr the caches show up under "Waypoints", not under "Caches".

Depending on your model GPSr, you don't have to go through MapSource. In GSAK click

GPS=> Send Waypoints, and change your icons in that box. This won't work with the Cx models

Hope this helps

-GD

OK, in there you said assuming you have your custom icons setup. I half have them set up. I have 10 custom icons for traditional cache, multi, etc, named as 000.bmp, 001.bmp... I think where the problem is coming is in the GarminOther.txt file. Should the entries in there be in the form of: Custom 0; traditional or 000; traditional or 000.bmp;traditional ? I can see these options in mapsource when i go to export a mapsource file. But, after exporting, mapsource will not correct interpret these. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks

starcr250

Hope this helps

-GD

OK, in there you said assuming you have your custom icons setup. I half have them set up. I have 10 custom icons for traditional cache, multi, etc, named as 000.bmp, 001.bmp... I think where the problem is coming is in the GarminOther.txt file. Should the entries in there be in the form of: Custom 0; traditional or 000; traditional or 000.bmp;traditional ? I can see these options in mapsource when i go to export a mapsource file. But, after exporting, mapsource will not correct interpret these. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The lines in your GarminOther.txt file should look like this:

Custom 0 ; Traditional

Custem 1 ; Multi

Custom 2 ; Mystery

My \garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols\ only has 8 .bmp files. Could this be a limit?.

I am not sure I understand. When you open your export in MapSource, does the waypoint list show the waypoints with your custom icons or not?

Or is it the GPSr that don't show the custom icons?

Edited by GreatDane

The lines in your GarminOther.txt file should look like this:

Custom 0 ; Traditional

Custem 1 ; Multi

Custom 2 ; Mystery

My \garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols\ only has 8 .bmp files. Could this be a limit?.

I am not sure I understand. When you open your export in MapSource, does the waypoint list show the waypoints with your custom icons or not?

Or is it the GPSr that don't show the custom icons?

GreatDane,

When I export, mapsource will not show the custom icons.

starcr250.