12 Volt Power Cord.

HOGCAT

I have the power cord for a cigarette lighter plug also has the 9-pin serial port connector. It was for a old Garmin GPS 12 I have, which took 4 AA batterys. My question is will this cord work OK on a GPSmap 60 CX, which has only 2 AA batterys??? Or will it put too many volts into the 60 CX???? ;)

I have the power cord for a cigarette lighter plug also has the 9-pin serial port connector. It was for a old Garmin GPS 12 I have, which took 4 AA batterys. My question is will this cord work OK on a GPSmap 60 CX, which has only 2 AA batterys??? Or will it put too many volts into the 60 CX???? ;)

It'll probably work ok, but it'll put out slightly *less* voltage than is specified for the 60Cx.

The GPS 12 didn't include a voltage regulator in the unit so the external power cable had the regulator circuitry and it put out about 7.5 VDC (the 12 was rated to accept about 5 - 8 VDC). OTOH, the cables made for the 12XL, III+, II+, and the various 60 & 76 models don't need a regulator since those models accept a larger voltage range directly. The 60Cx is rated to run properly on anything from 8 to 36 VDC. So the output of your old power cord is just a bit below that range but I'd guess that it would be close enough.

Very nice reply from Peter.

You are right to be concerned - never hook a power supply to an electronic device not

made for that power supply unless you are sure the supply voltage is appropriate.

Getting advice here is a good way to go...

Robert