Paperless Question

Bernsports

I have downloaded the trial version of GSAK to see if I can figure it out before purchasing it. I ran a querry of the 200 caches nearest my home coordinates and it worked. I sorted them by miles from home so I can start with the closest ones and work my way out. That also worked on GSAK. I downloaded the waypoints to the SD card and inserted the SD card into my Magellan Gold. From there, I load the SD card waypoints onto my GPS and all 200 of them are now on my GPS. My problem is, somewhere along the way, they are no longer in order by distance from my house. I can't figure out what order my GPS has placed them. It's not ordered alphabetically either. I also cleared my memory before installing the SD card so those are the only waypoints on my GPS. Is there a step I'm missing somewhere along the line? I even closed GSAK, opened my SD card, using GSAK as the program to open the file and they were generated in GSAK in milage order. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernsports

The GPS doesn't care if you put them in order of distance before loading, it puts them in order of waypoint names (usually alphabetical)

If you want to search them in order of nearest you have to put them that way. With the magellan after pressing the GOTO button you should have a option to sort by alpabetical or nearest.

Typically the way points are shown on the gpsr in the order of their distance from where you are standing. I don't have my gpsr with me at the moment but there is a selection for 'nearst to' which I believe is the default. In any event, just print the GSAK database column wise page and you can refer to that. Having the waypoints in the gpsr in alphabetical order is not very useful in the field since you will constantly be moving around and altering your course during the day. The 'nearest to' selection will therefore always show you the caches more conviently. To a large degree, it can be viewed as a matter of personal choice and style.

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks Polar,

I hate being a rookie(lol). In GSAK, I had them in order in miles from home. Right now, I am at work so when the GPS ordered them, it was doing it by nearest from here at work. That's why my lists weren't matching up. It wasn't until I read your post that it dawned on me that I was basically working from two different locations. Dang rookies(lol)!

Thanks for the quick response, it saved me from getting a migrane.

Bernsports.

Typically the way points are shown on the gpsr in the order of their distance from where you are standing.

Thanks. It just took me a while to figure out I wasn't standing at home(lol). Sometimes I just make things more complicated than they are insted of trying to simplify it. I got it figured out now. Time to make my purchase.

Bernsports