Confirming Caches

geofindr

As a newbie, I have a couple questions that some of you seasoned geocachers will probably not beleve, but here goes:

My wife and I are just starting out as geocachers. She drives a wheelchair so we are limited on what caches we can get to. As a result, we started with four virtual caches in the Eugene, Oregon area. Once we got the data that the folks wanted to verify that we had been there, I went to www.geocaching.com and went to those cache listing and used the form to send a note to the cache owners with the info they requested.

Now the question, how do we get confirmation and credit on geocaching.com for finding those caches? I assume the owners have to do something?

For a normal cache where a person signs a log, does confirmation and the ability to list a cache as found also have to be verified by the cache owner?

In both cases, is it the cache owner who changes the log for the particular member on geocaching.com, or does the member do that in some way?

Sorry for the trivial questions, but want to make sure I understand the process.

I just want to in general thank so many un-named folks who have contributed here and on geocaching.com where I have read so much and learned so much. Multiple Sclerosis has limited my wife's life in so many ways, geocaching will be something we can do together and something that will be so much fun for her. Thank you all!

Terry

The custom on a virtual cache is to log your find and send the answer at the same time. This is accepted by most cache owners. If they feel different then they will request in their cache page that you wait for them to verify your answer before you log.

Nothing in a regular cache is verified by the owner for an online log. Later they may retrieve their physical log and verify the online logs but for the most part this activity is on the honor system.

Geofindr, if I understand your question correctly, you are going to have to log your finds yourself.

Just go to the cache page and at the top right click 'Log Your Visit', on the next page select 'Found It' from the drop down box, then make a note in the comment box.

Hope that helps....

Thanks, for both replies. That answered my question. My experience as an amateur radio hobbiest is showing, in making over the air contacts, to be able to confirm a new "country" for example, I would need to have it verified by the person i contacted. I am glad geocaching is alot easier to log finds!

Best Wishes,

Terry

Geofindr, if I understand your question correctly, you are going to have to log your finds yourself.

Just go to the cache page and at the top right click 'Log Your Visit', on the next page select 'Found It' from the drop down box, then make a note in the comment box.

Hope that helps....

Thanks, for both replies. That answered my question. My experience as an amateur radio hobbiest is showing, in making over the air contacts, to be able to confirm a new "country" for example, I would need to have it verified by the person i contacted. I am glad geocaching is alot easier to log finds!

Best Wishes,

Terry

I can see how that would be confusing - the geocaching smiley is sort of like a do-it-yourself QSL card, instead of a normal one where they do it for you.

Since you said your wife is in a wheelchair, you may also want to check out the handicaching website if you haven't already.