Magellan Meridian Marine

joker11

Hellooooooo,

I have had my GPS for about a year...maybe two? Anyhow, my brother in law has a Garmin Etrex and we go caching together all the time. My complaint is that his cheapie unit has all kinds of street names and the streets showing up on his navigation screen while my high dollar (to me) Magellan Meridian Marine unit shows NOTHING but interstates and highways. Did I get ripped off, do I need a different firmware version? Or is the only way I can compete to actually purchase mapping software? I think that would be lame and add more to the price to get basically to where he is with a Garmin.

I only bought the marine because it was waterproof, not to use the marine functionality.

thanks in advance for any info you very experienced users may provide.

The Joker

Located in Yuma, AZ

I have one cache hidden called POWMIA PLACE if you care to find that one!

No you did not get riped off.

The cheap e-trex (Yellow) does not include the ablity to display detaied streets maps or street names.

The most basic e-trex that will show street names is the Legend, which has a blue case. The legend will display street names with the purchase of optionel software from Garmin.

You wil have to buy Magellans Map send software and an SD card to load maps onto.

The Magellan meridian Marine is a much better GPS than the Garmin Legend. THe Magellan has a better reciever and will hold a better lock under tree cover than the Legend.

You can also store more maps in the Meridian than the legend, the legend only has 8MB of memory for map storage, with the Magellan you are only limited by the size of you SD mamory card.

You can also store an unlimited number of caches/waypoints in the Magellans memory card, with the legend there is a limit to 500 or 1000.

If your brother inlaw has the Garmin e-trex vista which has a silver case it still requires the purchase of the same software as the Legend, but it has 24MB of room for map storage. The Vista is also limited in the number of caches/waypoints that can be stored but it also has a Barometer and a Magnetic compass, it is more expensive than the legend.

The Vista sells for about the same price as the Meridian marine, the legend sells for about 50 - 60 dollars less. Any other mapping e-trex versions will cost even more than the Meridian marine or the Vista.

I could be your brother in law paid to much for what he got when compared to the Meridian Marine.

Besides, you got a larger screen also.

Edited by JohnnyVegas