Missing, Eternally Active Caches

jeffk42

There's a cache location near me where the cache has been reported missing. It's last find was May of 2005. However, the owner has four finds and two hides, and last logged in January 2005. I sent him an email asking if he would allow me to adopt the cache so I can set it back up, but he either doesn't use the email address anymore or is just not responding. It's pretty obvious he's not coming back.

I'd like to email Groundspeak to see if I can adopt the cache without the owner's consent, but is that okay to do? It's not like I'm trying to steal the guy's cache from him, I just want to see it back in action. I also wouldn't mind adopting his other cache, even though it's still in good shape, just because if something ever does happen to it, I don't want to see it have the same problems.

If you would rather adopt the cache, instead of having it archived and planting a new one, send an e-mail to your local reviewer and explain the situation. Several caches here on Oahu have recently been adopted this way. Reasons to adopt/replace rather than archive might include: preserving the orignal GCnumber, keeping the older logs around, and saving yourself the trouble of submitting a new cache for review. If the cache is truly missing, I'd suggest you go ahead and replace it, the post a note to the cache page so people will know there is now something to find. The advantage of archiving the old one would be those who found it would now have a new one to find. The advantage of officially adopting, rather than just "maintaining/replacing" a missing cache, is that as the owner you will be able to modify the listing as needed, and mark any TBs which may have disappeared as "missing."

See the notes from 09/05-present for: Strangled Palm

Hope this helps and good luck.

JRR

If the original container and the original log book are both missing what is there to adopt? If you want to preserve the history of the previous cache, then make a new one a memorial cache and add a link to the original cache page.

I also second the suggestion to find a slightly different hiding spot. I've seen caches last for years with an AWOL owner because the original cache was well done. The fact that this cache has gone missing hints at the need for a better hiding spot or container.