Garmin V On A Motorcycle

rockg

A buddy of mine has just been introduced to the wonderful world of GPS's. Now, to get him out to cache. Anyway, he got a Garmin V on ebay and also ordered a mount for his motorcycle. Here is the question.... since he rides him motorcycle everyday to work... would it be bad for the GPS in really cold temps?? We are in SC so it doesn't get really bad... but we do have some nights of 28-30 degrees .. plus riding on the Interstate about 70mph.... would that mess his garmin up ??? The way his motorcycle is set up... it is only partially blocking the wind from the unit.

He asked me about it tonight... so what better place than fellow gps'ers. Thanks in advance !!

Rock G in SC

28 degrees is cold? :mad: What do the specifications for his GPS V say? (My emap's says it should work down to 5 degrees.) I suspect the main issue might be with the batteries. (They tend to not release charge well when cold.) I forgot to add that if 28 degrees isn't a problem when standing still, moving at 70 mph (or any other speed) should be quite irrelevant in regard to temperature. (I'd worry about trying to control a motorcycle and a GPSr at the same time. :mad: )

Edited by ghs

Many people use the GPS V on a motorcycle, and there should be no problems. The V is water resistant too, so rain shouldn't be a big problem. (Althoug considering that the rain drops will be blasted into the unit at 60 or 70mph, this may not be true.)

Jamie

To the best of my experience (I've had my V for 3+ years), he should be fine.

I've ridden with mine taped

:mad: to my gas tank from Phila to Maryland in 7 degree weather. (not counting wind chill) - wind chill on a bike brings actual real-feel to way below zero.

Back when I was young & immortal; I rode 12 months a year, 15 miles each way to work & weekend rides of 70 miles at a clip!!! :mad:

His only concern will be OPERATING temp and according response time.

He should NOT leave it ON THE BIKE overnight - condensatiion & re-freeze can damage a unit (moisture expands). Also, it'll take longer to warm up than if he leaves it on the kitchen counter & attaches pre-ride.

Along this line, anyone have experiences mounting the 60c on a bike? I am used to the horizontal (GPSV) and worry a bit about visual & stability???

BTW, I really appreciate eveyone posting pics of their mounts - my wife thinks we're all crazy.

She dosen't undertsand :mad:

Thanks

thanks y'all.... will forward the link to him so he can read the responses. He is biting at the bit to get out and cache.. so it won't be too long now before he is hooked. He is really amazed by the GPS as we all were/still are. Thanks again.... and yes.... 28 is cold down here in SC... at least for me it is. :mad:

Many people use the GPS V on a motorcycle, and there should be no problems. The V is water resistant too, so rain shouldn't be a big problem. (Althoug considering that the rain drops will be blasted into the unit at 60 or 70mph, this may not be true.)

Jamie

To the best of my experience (I've had my V for 3+ years), he should be fine.

I've ridden with mine taped

:D to my gas tank from Phila to Maryland in 7 degree weather. (not counting wind chill) - wind chill on a bike brings actual real-feel to way below zero.

Back when I was young & immortal; I rode 12 months a year, 15 miles each way to work & weekend rides of 70 miles at a clip!!! :D

His only concern will be OPERATING temp and according response time.

He should NOT leave it ON THE BIKE overnight - condensatiion & re-freeze can damage a unit (moisture expands). Also, it'll take longer to warm up than if he leaves it on the kitchen counter & attaches pre-ride.

Along this line, anyone have experiences mounting the 60c on a bike? I am used to the horizontal (GPSV) and worry a bit about visual & stability???

BTW, I really appreciate eveyone posting pics of their mounts - my wife thinks we're all crazy.

She dosen't undertsand :D

Thanks

Keep in mind that wind chill only affects living things, not a mechanical object like a GPS. To the GPS 28 deg is 28 deg, 7 deg is 7 deg no matter what the wind.

Thanks

I have my 60cs mounted to a Ram mount on the left handlebar. The mount replaces one of the screws that holds the clutch lever to the handlebar.Like this

Edited by JT & PJ Cole

Thanks

I have my 60cs mounted to a Ram mount on the left handlebar. The mount replaces one of the screws that holds the clutch lever to the handlebar.Like this

Thanks to all who responded. I froze the LCD screen on a depth finder not too long ago, thought maybe the cold would also affect the LCD screens on the GPS units as well.

I don`t use it to navigate on the bike, just a quick reference for my speed, and elevation changes, as I live near the mountains. I want to use it for Geocaching as well as tracking routes for M/C rides. I am intending on posting our routes on M/C forums when I figure that all out, and also to help me find routes again that our faster rides take place on. Trying to keep up with these fellas is one thing, let alone having a clue where you are , been , and going to. This way, I can find my way back again, after I track it.

Thanks again!