Maps In New Format

kcseagull

Something must have broke. The cache icons are not showing up. Only my found and owned are showing on the map unless I check "Identify" and click on the map. Then they show up as numbers not the icon showing what type of cache.

I think this happens when they are regenerating the map displays. (The new caches haven't been showing for some time.)

Give it a little time and I'll bet all the icons reappear.

What new maps would you be talking about? The geocaching.com maps look the same as they did over a year ago.

I'm not real fast with this stuff but it is the maps that are on the lower right side of the cache page

The new maps will show a location of the cache but it will, in most cases, only show roads and etc but nothing to identify the general area it is located in, such as a town name and etc.

What new maps would you be talking about? The geocaching.com maps look the same as they did over a year ago.

I'm not real fast with this stuff but it is the maps that are on the lower right side of the cache page

The new maps will show a location of the cache but it will, in most cases, only show roads and etc but nothing to identify the general area it is located in, such as a town name and etc.

Strange things seem to be happening. The maps that are showing up now are the correct maps. Maybe I'm smoking left handed cigarettes.......For the past weeks the maps have not been the usual maps that you see on the cache pages. I can't explain it.

That is normal behavior. When a new cache is created, the default maps are the rather crappy Tiger maps. After the cache is published, at some point the map will switch over to the prettiful map. This is done automatically when the map server crawls through the cache database looking for pages to update. Perhaps this was broken for awhile, and just recently got jump started.

That is normal behavior. When a new cache is created, the default maps are the rather crappy Tiger maps. After the cache is published, at some point the map will switch over to the prettiful map. This is done automatically when the map server crawls through the cache database looking for pages to update. Perhaps this was broken for awhile, and just recently got jump started.

Thanks that make me feel better. At least I'm not losing all my marbles.

Kcseagull

From my FAQ

When a cache page is generated, it does not have the little preview map, and the main map on the page is the Tiger Census page (if you're in the US). These maps are crude and bad-looking. You can tell if it's a Tiger Census map because the cache will be marked with a blue star (see map below). If you're outside the U.S., when the cache page is initially generated, it will NOT have a map.

mapold.jpg

Periodically, the server sweeps through the system and looks for caches that have been updated since the last sweep (ones that have the Tiger Map or no map), and it updates with the Microsoft mapping program that Groundspeak purchased for use. When it does sweep, it looks much better for the US, and the maps are added to the non-U.S. cache pages (see map below).

mapnew.jpg

Sometimes the preview maps (right next to the name of the cache) mess up and grab the wrong region. The way to fix it is to force the cache page to regenerate. Cache owners can make this happen by editing the page and saving it (something as simple as inserting a space, and deleting it). When the cache owner does this, the cache page will revert to the Tiger Census (or no) map. The new map will be generated on the next sweep.