Groundspeak What's With The Tb's?

Colorado Cacher

This evening I had the great misfortune of making a butt out of myself by emailing a fellow cacher (DYNOMAN) and telling this person to log the TB that the system presently says they hold, as being picked up from this cache GCP84Y, so I could retrieve it from the cache for an upcoming event. This cache lists the TB "Motorhead" (TBJYHD) as being in the cache on todays date. The TB's page shows that it has been pulled out of that cache TWICE by the present holder in December of 2005, on the same date and time! Many, Many, Tb's are showing up as being in caches here (Colorado Springs, Colorado) and when people go to find them they are nowhere to be found. I took the intiative to go to your "Contact Us" page to send an email and resolve this, but I see nothing. I will include an entire copy of the page for others to see and assist, hopefully others can show me where the link is to contact Groundspeak directly next time instead of having to post the issue here. If I am this stupid and dumb please email me and show me where on the contact page I missed it...the below information enclosed in quotes is the only TB contact info I see. Once again if I am this dense and don't see where the system is working correctly I seriously apologize. Please help.

"Travel Bug Questions

Most of your questions about Travel Bugs can be answered on the Groundspeak Help Page or in the Groundspeak discussion forums in “The Travel Bug” section."

Contacting Groundspeak

Thanks for your interest in contacting Groundspeak, the company that runs the Geocaching.com site. We get thousands of emails each day, and as a small team it is difficult to respond to each and every email in a prompt manner. We've separated out the types of inquiries we get each day, with some hints on how to resolve certain issues we see on a daily basis.

Have a question? The first stop is the Groundspeak help page, where you can find answers to commonly asked questions. We attempt to provide detailed information through the help page to reduce the amount of incoming emails and enable us to respond quickly to questions that require our attention. Please utilize the resources provided to assist you with seeking answers to your questions independently. As we receive more questions we will add the answers to this page.

After checking out the knowledge base and the forums if you do not see the answer to your question, you may email us directly. Click “ask a question” and we'll try to assist you as quickly as possible.

General Geocaching.com Questions

If you have a feature enhancement idea, post it to the Geocaching.com Discussion Forum (you will need to be logged in). We do have a new feature list about a mile long, and prioritize changes as a result of this forum and the community demands.

New Geocaching Members: We realize new users have a lot of questions about Geocaching and the Geocaching.com website. Before contacting the web site, please review the Groundspeak help page to see if we have an answer for you. If you do not find your answer please ask your questions in the “Getting Started Forum” at the top of the Groundspeak Forums. We have a growing community of players that know far more about these subjects than we do!

Groundspeak Premium Memberships (includes Charter Memberships)

Many of the questions you have regarding Premium memberships can be answered on the Groundspeak help page. Please check there first. If you do not find your answer you may contact us directly through the “ask a question” link on the Groundspeak help page.

If you have additional feature suggestions, please post them in the Groundspeak forums under the "Geocaching.com discussion" forum. We monitor this forum on a daily basis.

Memberships purchased through Signal’s Corner Store or by Check will be activated by a Groundspeak team member. We attempt to do this as quickly as possible after receiving your payment. Thanks in advance for your patience.

PayPal subscriptions: If you do not receive your subscription ID after you subscribe on PayPal, check your transaction history on PayPal. We use the transaction ID from PayPal to activate your account (Starts with "S-"). Enter it into the subscription page to activate it.

Questions about Orders

Shop Groundspeak: For orders at the "Shop Groundspeak" (http://shop.Groundspeak.com/) storefront, contact Sunrise Identity at contact-Groundspeak@sunriseid.com.

CafePress orders are handled through CafePress directly.

Signal’s Corner Store and PayPal orders: If you have a question about subscriptions or Travel Bug purchases through Signal’s Corner Store or PayPal you may contact us directly through the ‘ask a question’ link on the Groundspeak Help Page.

If you have an idea for a new item for sale, post your idea in the Groundspeak forums.

Travel Bug Questions

Most of your questions about Travel Bugs can be answered on the Groundspeak Help Page or in the Groundspeak discussion forums in “The Travel Bug” section.

Business Inquiries

If you are interested in advertising with us, or have an idea for a promotion through Geocaching.com please read the information on the Advertising with Groundspeak page. We can provide location-based banner advertising, or creative promotions that engage the geocaching community.

Land Managers

If you find an inappropriately placed cache on your property please notify us. Try to include the Cache Name, Waypoint Name (GC****) or the URL to assist us in identifying the correct cache.

If the Geocaching.com web site is contacted and informed that a cache has been placed inappropriately, the cache will be archived or disabled and the cache owner will be contacted with any information provided by the individual or organization who contacted us.

Snail Mail

If you prefer standard mail, you can send all inquiries to the following address:

Groundspeak

PMB 321

24 Roy Street

Seattle, WA 98109

(206) 302-7721

Edited by Colorado Cacher

.. where the link is to contact Groundspeak directly ...

To contact Groundspeak directly try: contact@Groundspeak.com

Also travel bug owner, cache owner, friendly area reviewer all have the ability to mark a bug missing (Using the drop down menu in the upper right of the individual travel bug page).

This option takes it off the cache listing and if ever found again can easily be grabbed back.

I have the exact same problem w/ one of my TBs. There needs to be a way for the owner of the TB to "update" his whereabouts. Groundspeak really needs a fix for this as these TBs and especially the friggin' coins are expensive. We have enough problems w/ jerk muggles without this as an additional potential problem/ headache. "Recalculate distance" doesn't work and if i'm supposed to "move it to last" i would, but i see no instructions on how to use "move it to last" and i don't want to make my problem worse. It's not lost (yet), it just no longer tracks mileage. It's alread moved a couple of times since the initial problem, i think. check it at TBPDVD and let me know what you think. thanks, -jg

Done and Thank You MrCoGeo.

You're welcome Colorado Cacher. Couldn't leave a fellow CO geocacher hanging like that. (Even if they are a little dense :o:laughing: )

... "Recalculate distance" doesn't work and if i'm supposed to "move it to last" i would, but i see no instructions on how to use "move it to last" and i don't want to make my problem worse. It's not lost (yet), it just no longer tracks mileage. It's alread moved a couple of times since the initial problem, i think. ...
(Link to bug)

Don't know if it will help much but here is a past TPTB boy post that kind of addresses your problem. But unfortunately doesn't seem to be a stable fix yet.

Edited: To add link to JamminJG TB in question

Edited by MrCOgeo

Interestingly enough, this TB is still listed at GCP84Y in the inventory, and Twice retrieved from the cache on the same date by its present holder. What the heck..................?

Have you considered user error? Maybe he grabbed it, and when he logged the cache, he accidentally clicked the line item for the bug, thinking that would remove it from the cache's inventory (not drop it). When he realized it was in the cache's inventory again, he went over and grabbed the bug, but OOOPS, missed something in his log on the cache, lather - rinse - repeat. At some point, they got frustrated with the process and broke the loop, but it left the bug in the wrong location.

Working on a help desk has shown me never to underestimate the power of a human mess up a program.