New Member With A Few ?'s Garmin 60cs

TrpD345

Hello,

I have been reading here for several days and have just registered. I have tried to get my questions answered thru searching and reading, but I still need a few answers. I hope someone can help. I am a State Trooper in NC. I have a Lap Top that stays in my car for work. I also have a 60 CS. I have the USB cable and aslo a serial port/ 12v comboe cable. I can only get the computer to recognize the GPS with the USB cable attached. I am wanting to cut down on cables and just use the Serial/12v combo cable. What am I doing wrong and is one cable better than the other? I have the MApSource program downloaded. Is there a way to run the GPS thru the computer, just like the computer was GPS? Rather than jsut using it for transferrring waypoints? It will mostly be used for hunting and in my car for practice. I would also like to have a detailed map of the area that I work, Rockingham County, NC. If it is not available, can I create one? Thanks fro the help!

You don't need Nroute. You just need a laptop that has a com port free. Also like CTDoger says, use the Garmin setting is a must. There should be no reason not to send via the 4 pin cable connection if your com port is not being used by someother device. Check your system information to make sure its not being used by some other device like a modem or something. I can send/receive data with either interface and I don't use Nroute.

Could be that the COM port is disabled (for whatever reason) in the computer's BIOS/Setup program. Depending on the make and model of the machine, you usually enter it by pressing the [Delete] key, [F3] or [F5] at a certain time in the boot sequence. The computer usually says "Press XXX to run setup...". You need to press whatever it is you need to press while that message is displayed. After the message goes away, then it's too late to press the button(s). Once you're in the Setup utility, look for your COM port settings.

I hate to disagree, but if you are using the most current version of MapSource, then you DO need to download nRoute. Garmin moved this functionality to a separate modual in version 6.5 (I think).

Also, CenTexDodger's tip on the serial setting should work, but as GeoidPS point out, some other apps try to hog serial ports. Palm's Hotsync is notorious for this. If you have the hotsync icon showing in your tool bar, right click and exit hotsync before hooking up to the serial port.

I'm using Mapsource 6.9.1. This is the latest non-beta version. Are you referring to needing Nroute for real-time tracking on the PC or laptop? In any case, I think Officer T's question was just plain getting communication through the serial port. I can transfer data to/from Mapsource with either interface and I don't have Nroute.

BTW, the current Beta is 6.10.0.2

Edited by GeoidPS

I'm using Mapsource 6.9.1. This is the latest non-beta version. Are you referring to needing Nroute for real-time tracking on the PC or laptop? In any case, I think Officer T's question was just plain getting communication through the serial port. I can transfer data to/from Mapsource with either interface and I don't have Nroute.

BTW, the current Beta is 6.10.0.2

You are correct. I assumed he wanted real time tracking due to the fact that he wanted it connected to the laptop that was in his car.

If you have Garmin City Select maps loaded, and NRoute loaded, you can use your laptop as a giant GPS. It will autoroute you to where ever you want to go with turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts. Without the laptop, the 60CS will autoroute if you have City Select maps loaded onto it, but it won't give you voice prompt ("turn left one quarter mile") and of course the screen is much smaller.

For more on the 60CS, take a look at the FAQ in my signature line.