Well Sh** (shuk)

JohnTee

What a day. Had my First To Find, who enjoyed my cache White Oak Trace and then it had to be temporarily disabled. I had permission from the park superintendent to place the cache on White Oak Trace . . . turns out this area of the park was donated to the MO Department of Conservation and is under THEIR jurisdiction. Will have to talk to somebody at MODC tomorrow and see if we can't work something out. Dang! I thought I'd found a GOOD spot for the cache too. :D

What's kind of funny is the e-mail I got . . . Dear Mr. Tee . . . ;)

JohnTee

It sounds like you left a good impression with the folks at the MODC. I would definitely stop out to talk to them soon--They may be willing to try geocaches on the property.

Other nature centers have sponsored geocaches on their grounds in the past (I wish I have saved those links now) and had good results. I know that some of the local ones are even trying to find ways to offer GPS lessons onsite, hoping they can use them someday for self-guided tours.

Good luck!

I don't think you should have posted the contact informaiton on the cache page in your temporarily archive log.

Wiz, you probably have a good point. I'll go back and edit it out. Don't need anyone sending them nasty messages on my behalf. Cause, as

Team Neos said:

It sounds like you left a good impression with the folks at the MODC. I would definitely stop out to talk to them soon--They may be willing to try geocaches on the property.

I talked to the woman who sent me the e-mail and pulled the cache. Kept it very pleasant and received no bad vibes. She said she was just doing her job and I said I understood and would get it taken care of tomorrow.

If anyone comes up with any references to nature/conservation center cache placements, please let me have them. Would be nice to have some 'ammo' to talk to them with. I think they can be assured that it will be a smallish number of people stretched out over a period of time that visit a geocache.

JohnTee

I did a quick google search using the terms: geocache nature center

and found these in just the first two pages:

http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/geoc...g/geo_where.asp

Hey! I know that one.

I'm a volunteer with the Cleveland Metroparks, mainly working with their geocaching coordinator.

Carly Martin, a naturalist with the CMP and their geocaching coordinator, has advised park systems throughout the country on setting up geocaching programs.

This is a better link to the CMP geocaching information page. You'll find more information about the park's geocaching policy, and a link to contact Carly directly.

Team Neos said:

I did a quick google search using the terms: geocache nature center

That's an excellent suggestion that also occurred to me this morning when I was laying awake around 0400. Just did a Google search on the following terms:

"MO OR Missouri conservation OR nature center site:www.geocaching.com"

And got a few good results back specific to MO.

These two were probably the best . . .

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=49526

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=58186

Richard Moore said:

This is a better link to the CMP geocaching information page.

Thanks for that link. I've added it to what little I've found for MO so far. May be useful. I'm going to call the contact here shortly and see what I find out. Will post information for those interested.

JohnTee