Software To Measure Total Elevation Gain?

royta

With Mapsource, I can load a track from my Garmin, and I can view the profile of the climb. I can select the beginning and ending point and it will show me the elevation gained between the two points. However, it will not add up the total elevetion gained, caused by many up and downs between the two points. Is there any free software that will add it up for me? If not free, than what else is there? Thanks.

Roy

Is there any free software that will add it up for me? If not free, than what else is there?

I've used the demo version of GarTrip (www.gartrip.de) for this and have also just imported the track data into Excel and added the climbs there (that also allowed me to play with some filtering of the data). I believe OziExplorer will do so as well but haven't used it.

Delorme 3d TopoQuads does a very nice job calculating and displaying all that stuff for you. See the stats to the right of the graphic profile. You can click on the pic for a larger view. It will do it either for a planned track or rouite you lay down on the map before the hike, or do the same with an imported track from the GPSr after the hike. Here is a good sample. Rather than stick it here, I put a copy of a screen shot on my picture website. Profile Sample. By the way, heck of a nice hike up to an aircraft crash site.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama
Delorme 3d TopoQuads does a very nice job calculating and displaying all that stuff for you.

AFAICT, it would only let me determine altitude gains based on its own topographic data rather than being able to use the recorded tracklog altitudes. On a number of hikes and bike rides I got greatly inflated cumulative elevation gains from DeLorme. I think it was determining how much I would have been climbing if I had traversed that route *before* the road or trail was put in and leveled some of the terrain.

But I haven't used a recent version, did they add an option to use the tracklog altitude data?