Maps For Magellan Meridian

I have a GPS (see title) and it came without maps. I can see the edge of lakes and major Highways, but I want to see the roads etc..

Can someone point me to a source where I might find these maps at a discounted rate? I heard someone say there are some free maps that can be downloaded to the meridian. I am suspicious of this claim, but I figure this group could bust the myth.

Any extra insight beyond what I just asked is appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not believe that there are 'free' maps that can be loaded into a magellan gpsr unless by 'free' you mean that someone has given you one of the several map products produced by magellan for their gpsr units. Discounted map products for meridian gps units can readily be found on ebay. Just be sure that you know what you're getting and that the product is the current version or that you know if it is not the current version and that that is ok with you. You can go to the magellan www site and discover the current version of all their software.

Just curious, which specific meridian unit will you be using?

Edited by Team Cotati

You can make free maps for your Magellan GPSr, but if you have to ask it definitely won't be worth your efforts!!!

You will need to search and download map data, in vector format, you may have to process that data into a format that can be used in the correct mapping software, then add a layer at a time until you GPSr stops working!!!!..........

All you may end up with, is lines on the map screen to indicate roads, or creeks.....etc, and you won't differentiate between them!

You can make highly detailed maps of "your area" but it really isn't worh the weeks of effort!

Search out a cheap copy of any Mapsend product for your area, you won't be disappointed!