Pda For Sale (possibly)

kbootb

A friend of mine has a Sony Clie PEG-T625c PDA that he doesn't use. He has asked if anybody wants to buy it. Little interest at work as everybody uses Pocket PCs but I said that I know a number of geocachers like Palm based machines.

I won't go into the specs here, you can look them up on the web yourself.

I've just had a play with it and it's in full working order, and has a metal protective case as an extra.

He can't put his hands on the software CD, but that is easily downloaded.

First question - any idea what it's worth.

Second question - anyone interested?

Third question - if I decide to make an offer for it what software in geocache terms works on a Palm (I'm a pocket PC user and have memory map and GPXsonar on mine) I'm not bother about linking it to a GPS - I have my trusty Garmin for that, just taking cache details, maps and spoilers is all I ever use it for.

Hi Keith,

You're friend with the Sony will probably take offence if you only offer him £30, but in honesty that's about the going rate, I certainly wouldn't pay much more for it.

One's currently for sale on ebay with a day to go, at £9.99 - Two others have sold within the last couple of weeks both fetching around £33 plus postage.

As regards to Palm software, thats simple: Cachemate is a must have for any Palm owning geocacher. I've downloaded a PQ with 500 caches local to me and I'm finding it easlier and cheaper than generating masses paper, plus if I decide to take a quick detour out and about during my working day, I always have the cache information to hand - Excellent.....

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

http://www.palmsource.com/interests/geocaching/#2

(scroll to bottom of Palmsoft page for links and further information on Palm OS programs)

Personally I biased, generally I've always found the Palm OS to be a lot more user friendly than Pocket PC, if all you wish to use it for is as a contact & datebook manager, then it's hard to beat. Masses of software available for it, and generally the Sony machines had a very good reputation, excellent screen and good build quality.

I currently use a Sony Clie PEG-N770C/U which is a slightly higher spec machine that the T625, I paid £33 off eBay and in honesty its very useable for both geocaching and managing my day to day business appointment and contacts.

Regards

Mark

I too use a Sony Clie [PEG TG-50] for paperless caching

I use GPX Spinner to create html files from GSAK searches [gpx export] and then Plucker to turn them into a pdb file that I can read on the PDA. GPX Spinner costs a nominal fee and Plucker is free

Haven't used cachemate, but it seems to have a good reputation on the forums

Downside is that you can't use Memory Map on a Palm PDA - but I prefer paper maps anyway

Unfortunately PDAs seem to lose value quicker than cars... :(

Thanks guys, confirmed what I thought and the price was just about what I said to him in the office.

I used to use a Palm and really liked it, but now I've got used to the PPC with memory map I'm going to stick with that.

Closing the thread now.