Cat Proposal: Hiking Trailheads

G'day

I don't seem to be able to find a Waymarking category for bushwalking (hiking, tramping, rambling, walking) trails such as the Pacific Crest Trail, Bibbulmun Track and so on. I note that there is one for Mountain Bike Trails but not walking trails.

Walking seems to go with geocaching and this would be a good way to build a resource of walk trails IMO.

The idea as I see it would be to list the trailheads of hiking trails from around the world.

Comments?

Regards

Andrew

This has been suggested a few times before.

Here, here, here, and here.

I agree that this is an excellent proposal. I think that it should be expanded just a bit to be something more like "Hiking trailheads and trail junctions". One of the proposals was to include trailhead coordinates as a reference to the main proposal of Hiking Destinations for a day-hike. I would add that some hiking trails have designated areas for stopping to camp and even trail sleeping cabins. Informally recognized camping spots could be included too.

So there's 4 concepts here:

Trailheads

Trail junctions

Trail destination locations

Trail camp/cabin locations

I suggest that all 4 (and possibly a couple more like car parking lots, registration stations, etc. be included as variables within just one category - hiking trails. This would provide a neat package of trail information in one category. The category manager(s) could add new variables as they are suggested.

When waymark icons are added to geocaching.com's (Waymarking.com?) maps, a trail system's main points will all be displayed on a map!

There is already an existing Waymarking category: Scenic Hikes that is, in my opinion, sort of an unnecessary limiting name (what hikes aren't scenic?). Perhaps "Hiking trails" would be a better title and it could include sub-categories as variables within that one category as suggested above.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

G'day

This has been suggested a few times before.

Ah, I thought it might have been, but couldn't get the search engine to work.

I think that it should be expanded just a bit to be something more like "Hiking trailheads and trail junctions".  One of the proposals was to include trailhead coordinates as a reference to the main proposal of Hiking Destinations for a day-hike.  I would add that some hiking trails have designated areas for stopping to camp and even trail sleeping cabins.  Informally recognized camping spots could be included too.

So there's 4 concepts here:

Trailheads

Trail junctions

Trail destination locations

Trail camp/cabin locations

I understand what you are suggesting here and in principle don't disagree, but for a lot of longer trails this would involve quite a bit of work getting that information together.

My initial thinking was along the lines of capturing key information such as:

Trailheads

Length

Estimated walking time (days or hours)

Water availablilty

Camping sites - #, type (shelters, tent)

This core information could be supplemented with the extra information you suggest as say optional.

All up, hopefully building a good resource of walking trails, long and short.

There is already an existing Waymarking category: Scenic Hikes that is, in my opinion, sort of an unnecessary limiting name (what hikes aren't scenic?).  Perhaps "Hiking trails" would be a better title and it could include sub-categories as variables within that one category as suggested above.

I saw this category and was thinking along the same lines as you. It seems to have a name which is misleading. Your suggestion of sub-categories seems reasonable.

I would just like to see something constructive got up. We seem to have alot of other less substantial categories yet something like hiking trails is ignored.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker
G'day

I don't seem to be able to find a Waymarking category for bushwalking (hiking, tramping, rambling, walking) trails such as the Pacific Crest Trail, Bibbulmun Track and so on. I note that there is one for Mountain Bike Trails but not walking trails.

Walking seems to go with geocaching and this would be a good way to build a resource of walk trails IMO.

The idea as I see it would be to list the trailheads of hiking trails from around the world.

Comments?

Regards

Andrew

Totally agree that hiking trails would be a great waymaking project.

While trailheads are certainly appropriate, for longer trails it might be good to mark points along the way. There is already a category like this for the Appalachian Trail. The Pacific Crest Trail is certainly one that needs a more extensive Waymarking

I would propose a sub-category for the New Hampshire Heritage Trail that extends nerly the full length of our state following the Merrimack, Pemigewasset and Connecticut Rivers. Waymarks could be made at many points along the trail