Explorist 500

Thanks, Wow, I knew it should be easy, I switched it around and so far, so good. Can I assume then that no other maps will work other than mapsend, even though the box info on Microsoft says compatible with gps with latest NMEA data?

The NMEA data is information that the GPSr sends to the computer so a program like S&T can display your current position. It's a one-way road.

As far as sending detail maps to your explorist, you are correct that you will need a MapSend product (like DirectRoute or Topo3D). (Incidentally, that proprietary map format thing is the rule for most all GPSr units, not just Magellan.)

The answers above weren't contradictory.

As Embra said (and is as repeated in the FAQs in his signature) programs that use NMEA position data from the GPS to display your position on a map work fine. He also said that only Magellan's Mapsend products will send maps to your unit. That, too, is completely correct.

Dajom's answer is also correct. S&T 'works with' explorist exactly like it works with every other GPS - it doesn't upload detail maps to any GPS and it doesn't claim to.

Oh, it's always semantics around this place...you have my profound sympathy working your way up the learning curve. :lol: (It does get better, hang in there...)

A detail map file is a file sent from the PC map program (like MapSend) to your GPSr. It supplements the non-detailed basemap, which typically only has main highways. With a detail map on your GPSr, you can see (depending on the PC program) little roads and streets, streams, railroad tracks and POIs such as restaurants, gas stations, mines, caves etc.

Something like Streets& Trips can't send any map information per se to the GPSr. The NMEA stream from your GPSr to the computer sends only one "detail": current location. So, Streets & Trips can receive that information and display it. Usually with these programs--that have non-proprietary map formats preventing the transfer of a detailed map for a given area to the GPSr--can send other information that your GPSr can use, such as waypoints, tracks, and sometimes routes. Depending on the program, third-party software (such as the free GPSBabel) may be needed to translate into a format that a particular GPSr can understand. The maps themselves are just way too complex to lend themselves to a translating program. So, in a nutshell, S&T has limited communication abilities with your GPSr that doesn't include any map data exchange.

Feel free to continue to ask for clarification as needed. It's raining outside. :laughing:

To take it just a step further, the Mapsend product allows you to upload detailed maps to your gpsr. This allows you to navigate with nothing more than just your gpsr.

Software that is NMEA compatible, such as MS S&T, allow you to use your laptop for navigation, receiving your current coordinates from the gpsr. The real drawback is that you must have more than just the gpsr with you.

I use both. I use a laptop in the car with MS S&T loaded to get me to the site when I am making a planned cache run. S&T allows me to easily plan my trip ahead of time.

I have DirectRoute loaded on my Explorist so that I always have the ability to navigate even if the receiver is all I am carrying.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I am realizing that I must by mapsend in order to use the GPS the way I want to. So, that is fine. I see I can get it on Ebay for a reasonable price. Now, which do I get for geocaching? We don't ususally go too far off road so I am thinking the topo maps may not be needed. I can use the internet ones to figure out details and then if I have the map in the gps I can get to the cache. Does that makes sense? Also, what does the r on the end of GPS stand for? I see that a lot.

Also, what does the r on the end of GPS stand for? I see that a lot.

:laughing: Some of us feel that calling the receiver you hold in your hand a "GPS" is wrong, because GPS stands for Global Positioning System. You cannot hold the Global Positioning System in your hand because it consists not only of the receiver, but also the satellites and ground stations that monitor the satellites. The "r" in GPSr stands for receiver. GPSr is shorter than writing "GPS receiver" and more technically correct than "GPS."

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I am realizing that I must by mapsend in order to use the GPS the way I want to. So, that is fine. I see I can get it on Ebay for a reasonable price. Now, which do I get for geocaching? We don't ususally go too far off road so I am thinking the topo maps may not be needed. I can use the internet ones to figure out details and then if I have the map in the gps I can get to the cache. Does that makes sense?

Makes sense...I generally recommend DirectRoute over Topo3D because autorouting (where you tell the GPSr where you want to go and it creates turn-by-turn street level directions) is an extremely useful feature for many people. The topo software has the same street data, but does not autoroute. Only if someone is not very interested in using the GPSr in the car does T3D make more sense.

I am also trying to use an explorist 500 with Microsoft MapPoint. The software does not see the GPS. When I first plugged in the GPS to the computer it was detected and I got a message that it was succefully installed. I put it into NMEA 2.1 mode and go to the GPS Setup option in MapPoint but the siftware doesn't see the GPS. I also do not see in in the device manager under modems.