Travel Bugs

Checker111

I am trying to figure out when a person gets credit for a travel bug, in 'profile for user: checker111', in the stats tab. (check out waypoint: GCNAA6 01/02/2006)

We came on a cache with two bugs in it.

We took one, found the TB number and grabbed it at the TB page...I now had '1' in my travel bug stats.

We looked at the other one, found the TB number and tried to indicate that we saw it, but we wanted to leave it there for someone else to enjoy...I actually grabbed it at the TB Page, and then could not figure out how to put it back, because I did not actually have it...I eventually went back to the Cache Page to log a note that it was still there, I noticed that I could 'drop off a TB' in the Cache, so I 'dropped it off'...Now all is O.K.

However, I only have 'credit' for 1 bug instead of 2.

What am I missing?

Do I only get credit for travel bugs if I 'greb' them and put them someplace else?

Or ones I actually still have in my possesion?

Should I always 'grab' all the TBs in every cache I come to, so I get credit for them?

Any help on this would be appreciated...Thanks...checker111

The idea behind travel bugs is for them to travel. The TB owner wants you to pick it up in one cache and leave it in another within a reasonable time. Owner's create travel bugs to watch them move, not to see them logged in the same location again and again.

Taking the tracking number off a TB and dropping it back in the same cache so you can add it to your stats is not something one should get "credit" for, in my opinion - you didn't move the TB.

That said, only one TB shows on your stats because you haven't yet returned the other one to circulation. When you place that TB in another cache, and log it in online, your stats should show two. (If you click on the travel bug icon on your stats page, it shows two TB's - one in a cache, and one in your possssion).

When the TB logging first started, it was based on helping TB's move. Since we may not be going the same direction, as it's goal, we may not want to take it from the cache. So, if you want credit, the best way is to grab it and drop it in the same cache.

Now that geocoins and their individual icons are the current craze, Jeremy had mentioned somewhere that he was considering a single log for "spotted" of "seen" or "fondled" so folks could get credit with a single log entry.

Not sure where that is on the implementation list.

That said, only one TB shows on your stats because you haven't yet returned the other one to circulation.  When you place that TB in another cache, and log it in online, your stats should show two.

I think something else is going on here. Unless the TB functionality on the site has changed recently, you always 'get credit' for a TB when you grab it or retrieve it, not when your drop it in a cache.

In this particular case, for some reason the OP doesn't have record of ever having grabbed or retrieved the George W. Bush TB. There are two logs shown on the bug page for Checker111: a note, which shows no TB event (no retrieve, grab, or drop), and a 'place' event.

There's no record that the OP ever took possession of the bug, yet somehow the bug was in their inventory, because it was clearly dropped.

Very strange.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I caused this problem being a 'nubie'. I 'grabbed it', and could not figure how to drop it, so I deleted the 'grabbed it entry'. That did not work, and eventually I found how to 'drop it' at the Cache page. Sorry about that.

I think it is all back to normal.

With your help I now know how to do this.

Thanks for the help...checker111