Explorist 200 Grief

muchado

I just started geocaching in October and am still using my first GPSr - the Magellen Explorist 200. I got it for less than $100 and it has served me very well until the past several weeks. All of a sudden, I'm having trouble getting a position with an accuracy better than 100 feet or so and lots of bouncing all over the place. Prior to this, I could get a decent fix (better than 30 feet) in all but the thickest tree cover.

The detrioration of the accuracy seems to have coincided with the onset of really cold temperatures. I've been out caching in freezing temperatures a lot lately. I keep my GPSr indoors when I'm not using it.

Is it the cold that's causing my problem? Can anyone think of any other reasons? I haven't changed the way I use it or the types of terrain in any significant way.

Thanks.

Is it the cold that's causing my problem? Can anyone think of any other reasons?

One possibility that comes to mind is that you might be getting condensation inside the case when you take the unit from a warm environment (with relatively moist air) to the cold outside. Water condensed on the internal antenna could certainly interfere with reception. If that's the problem then storing the unit in a sealed bag with some dessicant when not in use should help.

My ex200 has done that a couple times over the past two years. Each time it has been solved to by doing a "hard reset", i.e., Menu>Preferences>Clear Memory>All. Then, restart and let it re-initialize from a factory-fresh state. It will probably be fine after that (don't forget to back up any important data first [i.e., copy down your POIs].

Here are the step-by-step instructions copied directly from the pdf version of the users manual:

Clearing All Track Logs, User-Entered POIs and Routes

1. Press MENU.

2. Use the Arrow joystick to highlight Preferences.

3. Press ENTER.

4. Use the Arrow joystick to highlight Clear Memory.

5. Press ENTER.

6. Use the Arrow joystick to highlight All.

7. Confirm. Use the Arrow joystick to highlight Yes to confirm or No to cancel.

8. Press ENTER.

9. The eXplorist will automatically shut off.