Traveling Caches

TMAACA

I think this topic has been discussed before but I couldn't find the thread (For some reason the search feature isn't working for me).

I found a traveling cache yesterday where the cacher takes the cache, rehides it in another area and posts the new location in a note on the cache page for the next person to go find. Essentially treating it like a travel bug. I thought I had read in the guidelines for placing a cache that these were not able to be placed any longer. I mentioned in my note for the cache that the cache was fun and that it is too bad that these types are no longer approved - because they are fun. Another cacher contacted me asking what I meant about this type no longer being approved?? I looked at the guidelines to send them the section that addresses this and couldn't find anything that seemed to address this directly.

Are these still valid types of caches?. If not what in the guidelines for hiding a cache prohibits this type of cache?

I don't believe that there's any specific reference in the guidelines to travelling caches. Those still in existance are grandfathered. In a nutshell, each time the coordinates change, the cache would really need to be re-submitted. In truth, it's a whole new cache each time - should be archived and re-submitted by the new owner/placer.

Think about it, what if you had also DNFed that hide, and then the next finder? The original placer, the one getting the email has NO IDEA where it is? Who's going to fix it? verify it's location?And GC.com has no idea if it's being moved into say, a National Park, grade school play yard, or other inappropriate location.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed...

Edited by Hugh Jazz