Mappoint 2004

Jpjazz

Has anyone used Microsoft Mappoint software? I saw it demonstrated on TV and understand it is comapatiable with GPS.

Jpjazz

It is only compatible with GPSR's when wanting to track in real-time and display on moving maps. There is no provision for uploading/downloading waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

You can however, with the aid of 3rd party applications such as GSAK, import cache/waypoints to display as pushpins on the maps and create routes to any of them. While real-time tracking you could follow the displayed route visually. You will not get any on-screen or voice prompts for upcoming turns though.

Cheers, Olar

I've used Mappoint quite a bit and like it, but it really depends on your usage. It's great for planning trips, especially if you are an RV'er and carry a notebook computer. The maps are updated regularly as is the road construction data when you have an internet connection. I found it particularly useful for finding campsites when travelling in unknown parts.

As far as usage with a GPS, as Olar says it does not allow uploading of waypoints (at least any way I could find), so the GPS functionality is limited to realtime tracking. This is cool if you travel with your notebook running and attached to your GPS, but not really practical in most cases.

As far as Geocaching-- if you use a PocketPC, you get a copy of Streets & Trips with Mappoint. So if you paperless geocache using GPXsonar or other software that exports a Streets & Trips pushpin file, you get a handy map display on your PPC with all the cache locations.

Since Mappoint is expensive, you might want to be more specific about your intended usage of it before deciding to buy. I found that I really needed both Mappoint (for travel planning) and Mapsend DirectRoute (for loading detail maps and directions on my GPS) for my particular needs.

Hope that helps a little...