Finding Co-ords

OK - I am not on my own computer so I dont have oodles of time to search through to see if this has been discussed before - apologies if it has. B)

I have a co-ordinate and a distance + bearing from that co-ordinate. I need to find out the co-ordinate for the new location. I know that if I get to as near to the location and work backwards (reading the distance and reverse bearing) I can probably find the location I want, but is there a way of obtaining/calculating the new co-ordinate with the information given (i.e. 1st co-ord + distance and bearing to 2nd co-ord) <_<

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all cachers :angry:

Tim - ddm

Most GPSR's will do it for you with the "waypoint projection" feature. If yours is a Garmin then you hilite the cache/waypoint that you wish to project from, press enter and then menu. You will see a selection for "Project Waypoint". All you need to do is enter the bearing in degrees and the distance. At the same time you can edit the waypoint symbol and name. Also be sure and determine if the compass bearing is degrees magnetic or true.

Good Luck, Olar

It can be done manually, but takes a bit of math. For starters, 1 degree latitude = 60 nautical miles and 1 minute of latitude = 1 nautical mile. 1 degree of longitude = cos(latitude) * 60 nautical miles. At the equator, 1 degree of longitude = 1 nautical mile. With this info and some trigonometry, you can figure out the rest, but not easily.