Downloading Map Program

Fenrus

I was searching some unmentionable forms for answers to the question, can I run directmaps on my laptop without the CD. I found the following. The data disk is copy protected with some new copy protection, So good in fact that many newer dvd rom drives wont read it. There is a work around download on the magellan site, but its not guaranteed to work. They know about the problem, but you see the copy protection is necessary to prevent data stealing and to keep the cost of the software down, never mind its the most expensive of the mapping programs for a laptop and you MUST have the cd in to use it. Too bad if you have a laptop without built in CD.

Edited by ictester

I was searching some unmentionable forms for answers to the question, can I run directmaps on my laptop without the CD. I found the following. The data disk is copy protected with some new copy protection, So good in fact that many newer dvd rom drives wont read it. There is a work around download on the magellan site, but its not guaranteed to work. They know about the problem, but you see the copy protection is necessary to prevent data stealing and to keep the cost of the software down, never mind its the most expensive of the mapping programs for a laptop and you MUST have the cd in to use it. Too bad if you have a laptop without built in CD.

I contacted Thales Navigation and they seem to know about the problem. They suspect that a batch of programs are messed up and they are willing to replace my program as soon as the new batch comes out. They have invited me to San Dimas ( about 30 minutes away) and will download the program map to my GPS. It is a temporary fix, but is better then nothing. Hopefully I can work with it until a good batch is made and sent to me. Thanks for input and suggestions.