Should I Just Archive This One And Start Over?

Irondale Kiddie Cache

This is my first and only cache.

As a working mom who's going to college too, I feel it's all I can take care of. (See? I try to be good!)

I've gotten many good comments on it, but it's been repeatedly muggled, and in a relatively short time, too. There was one over the top grumpy comment, but since I got two good comments right after, I'm assuming he just didn't wake up on the right side of the bed that day. Especially since I had stated that a replacement container was on it's way.

Anyhow, I can move the cache to a less well traveled part of the park, but do I then just change the co-ordinates and call it the same cache? (It will move maybe 500 yards or so. That's a guess.) Or... Is it time to retire this one and just start over 100%?

I would say that if a cache is moved by more than the GC.com proximity guideline of 528 feet, then it would be a new cache. Maybe that would take some of the guesswork out of the question. But I could see other factors coming into play as well for creating a new cache a shorter distance, or keeping the same for a (short) distance longer.

We will be moving it to a new location in the same park in a few days. I'm not sure if this means we'll have to consider this one a new cache and retire this portion of it, or if I just post new co-ordinates and say it is simply rehidden. The new location is a considerable distance from the old one. My gut tells me it will need to be renamed and considered a new cache, but I would welcome advice on that, certainly.

New location, new experience, seems like a new hide.

Oh, and if you haven't already, you should retrieve the old container remains before archiving.

And since I looked over the cache page... a 1 terrain rating should be: "Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)" Which of course, is along your intended, and hopefully obvious route.

Its not require you give a parking coordinate, or any directions other than a waypoint for the cache, your choice :unsure: . However, it might be helpful to some seekers, and it might save you some complaints.

Well, I know it would be accessable by a friend of mine who has a rather beefy motorized wheelchair. His chair has thick rubber tires and can go most places a public trail (which is what this is) could go. There are hills, but none are a hugely steep grade and none are longer than about ten feet 'till it smoothes out again.

As for access, there are four points this park can be entered from, and none of them have parking, per se. so..... I thought it was best to just let folks figure it out. Maybe I was wrong on that.

Oh, and ya, I did sadly remove all remains of the old cache yesterday. Nearly broke my heart. Muggle teens can be quite rough.

Personally, I would do what feels right to me. If you want to keep the same name then go for it. If you want to create a new hide, then have at it. I do see how folks could get frustrated with the whole container thing. Yes, you did post a note saying a new container was on order but that was September 27th and you did not go to replace it till December 5th. That, IMHO is a long time for a cache to go in that condition without posting another note or something. I also agree that your disgruntled cacher was being excessively grumpy. One of the many things I have figured out about this deal is that everything is perspective. I have gone through 3 or 4 terrain only to find a nice groomed trail had I approached from the other direction. ANYWAY, just play your game and don't be discouraged by the "geo-arrogance"

Just my .02

PWC

First let me say "Thanx for the cache!". It's good folks who hide caches that make this game possible. Second, don't worry about the Geogrouch. He seemed to be having a bad day. :)

Personally, I'd let the distance be my guide. If it was more than 528' from the old location, I'd give it a new name. Something you'll notice is, after you've got a bunch of finds under your belt, your hides will improve. You'll be better able to assess an area for muggle potential. There is no specific number of finds that will do this for you, everybody is different. I'm kinda dense, so for me, it took about 100 finds before I could do a hide I was proud of. One day you'll look back at this and laugh with your kids about your first hide. I know I do. B)

Thanx again!

-Sean-