Sprotrak Track Time Is Off - Whyzat?

2dest

I use Magellan SporTrak Pro. The time and date is always correct on the unit, but when I record a track and send it to my PC, the time is off. 12 hrs off. In the handheld unit, the time is set to AM PM Local. What's the deal and how can I correct it? Is there a setting to toggle?

There could be a few issues here. First, trackpoint times are usually recorded using UTC, which then you have to convert to your local time. Second, Magellan units have a bug where the date in trackpoints can be wrong, because it apparently uses your local time to determine the date, so if it's tomorrow UTC, it will have the wrong date.

But that gives an error of almost 24 hours, not 12.

The AM/PM setting of the GPS unit does not have any effect on the timestamps in tracklogs.

I see you are on the east coast and in the eastern time zone, and -5 hrs from UTC.

very odd to be 12 hours off

Try switching your GPS to 24hour time format, after doing a reset of the GPS.

Ive never had a problem with the time when I switched to local 24hr time on the GPS units.

Ive always had my Magellans and Garmins on 24hr time, including my SporTrak Color, and of course the default always is 12hr local time after a reset.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Thanks for the replies. The time on the unit is OK, it's just when I send the track to Mapsend on my PC that the track node times are off. I just noticed that it isn't particularly consistent from day to day. Right now it is 5 hrs off. Hmmm the minutes always seem accurate but the hours are off. The readout on the GPS'r itself is correct always. I tried 24hr time with the same results.