How About Trails.com

Rubacava

I have been hiking recently in the Sierra in California and the Gila National forest in New Mexico. I have had some difficulty locating some trail heads using non topo maps. Then again, buying a lot of topo maps can get a little pricey. Has anyone used trails.com web site? Do you have an opinion on their maps and how easy it is to navigate the site and use the features?

use google earth, and easy or expertgps. look for trail heads on aerial maps, and mark them. 90% of the time this works for me.

also search out the area you want in .gpx format. type in a search like

yosemite and .gpx you will get some trail data like that. the more people that log .gpx data on their long hike, the more info will be available.

not a fan of trails.com.... they want your ca$h.

Edited by RobRee
I have been hiking recently in the Sierra in California and the Gila National forest in New Mexico.  I have had some difficulty locating some trail heads using non topo maps.  Then again, buying a lot of topo maps can get a little pricey.  Has anyone used trails.com web site?  Do you have an opinion on their maps and how easy it is to navigate the site and use the features?

Couple of points.. lostoutdoors is free. Give that a try. USGS maps often misplace or omit trails. Aerial photos area better unless there is heavy forest cover obscuring them. I use both and sometimes draw the trail onto the USGS so the topographic data and trail data is on the same page.