Pocket Queries (pqs)

-Low-Bat-

When downloading PQs how do you ensure you only get caches that you haven't received before? I am trying to populate my GSAK database and since there are only 1001 caches in my area it should only take 2 full queries and one leftover, no? Is there some sort of filter that I should be using that will only send waypoints that I have not requested before? My goal is to have all the available waypoints installed into GSAK then dump them into my GPSr. I have yet to have the database fully populated with 4 PQs so far (even when selected to the maximum 500 waypoints and 1200 KM from my coordinates) . There has got to be a way!

~LowBat~

When downloading PQs how do you ensure you only get caches that you haven't received before? I am trying to populate my GSAK database and since there are only 1001 caches in my area it should only take 2 full queries and one leftover, no? Is there some sort of filter that I should be using that will only send waypoints that I have not requested before? My goal is to have all the available waypoints installed into GSAK then dump them into my GPSr. I have yet to have the database fully populated with 4 PQs so far (even when selected to the maximum 500 waypoints and 1200 KM from my coordinates) . There has got to be a way!

~LowBat~

Use the filters to get a selection of 500 or less.

1. Use the date placed,

a. only caches placed before jan 2004

b. only " after jan 2004

2.or use difficulty,

a. only caches greater than 2.5

b. only less than 2.5

3. Use a smaller radius than 100 miles :P

The best way to avoid overlap is to filter by date placed, as demonstrated by JR.

You'll need to set up at least three queries. Set the filter on the first one to return caches from January 1, 2000 until some date nearer date. You'll have to use the preview button to fine-tune your search.

The key is that you never want a PQ that returns exactly 500 caches. That means you are probably missing some. Instead, find a date which returns 480 or 490 caches. Preview is your friend.

If you filter by date, you should be able to get your area in three queries. The first one will have 485 caches, the second one 485 caches, and the third one, will give you the rest, and will also continue to return more and more caches as more are placed in your area.

Jamie

How long does it take to get your query sent to you after you have asked for it?

I have waited days; does that make sense? In order for me to update right before I go out and hunt, I'd have to look into my crystal ball to plan my download.

As has been noted elsewhere, where your PQ falls in the priority list to be run relates directly to when it was run last and how frequently.

If you run your PQ every day and/or it rna very recently, it will be behind many other peoples' PQs that have not run so frequently and/or recently. This may delay you PQ being run when you want/expect it to. I have seen mine be delayed maybe a day or so, but no more than that.

You could also be affected by the size of the file being sent. Some mail handlers delay sending emails that have attachments over a certain size until 'off-peak hours' to try to balance their server load. I don't know if Groundspeak or your mail server does this, but there may be other players in between that act as relays that may do this.

I now get small subsets at a time and only when needed and I get my PQs pretty darn quickly.