Sirf High-sensitivity Gps Receiver

gpsjeep

SiRF SoUNDs GOoD.

Can anybody say anything about comparative use in the field (or, more specifically, in the woods)? I have always been impressed that Magellans often seem to pick up signals and get a lock indoors, but there is debate about whether or not they outperform Garmins or Lowrance in marginal reception conditions outdoors. I'm wondering if the SiRF chipset is clearly better or if the improvement is subtler.

The Sirfstar III (I don't subscribe to ransom note capitalization) has been the object of geek lust in the http://www.gpspassion.com forums for some time. This chip has been present in many of the Bluetooth PDA "strap ons" for some time but only in very recent weeks has it started shipping in the very newest (Foretracker, Nuvi) Garmins. Somewhere on there is a geeky shootout, but it's with BT/hockeypuck class of hardware and not really handhelds in the woods which is what's most interesting to this crowd, so I don't know how pertinent it is.

I said some time ago that if Garmin took the products of the VistaC/60/76C family and replaced their terrible receiver and offered expandability, the reasons to recommend a Magellan become very few. It'll be interesting to see if they deliver.

Somewhere on there is a geeky shootout, but it's with BT/hockeypuck class of hardware and not really handhelds in the woods which is what's most interesting to this crowd, so I don't know how pertinent it is.

From my personal experience comparing a 60cs to a Holux SiRF III GPS I can say that the difference is at least as noticable in the woods as between skyscrapers. I was comparing tracklogs and also used them side-by-side.

The Sirf tracklog follows the map continuously and with only slight deviations, while a comparable 60cs tracklog (in a wooded canyon or steep northern slope) is a zig-zaggy mess with major dropouts. (I did my best to position the units in my backpack so they would get the best possible reception.)

Somewhere on there is a geeky shootout, but it's with BT/hockeypuck class of hardware and not really handhelds in the woods which is what's most interesting to this crowd, so I don't know how pertinent it is.

From my personal experience comparing a 60cs to a Holux SiRF III GPS I can say that the difference is at least as noticable in the woods as between skyscrapers. I was comparing tracklogs and also used them side-by-side.

If you're hoping for an argument from me, prepare to be disappointed.

I've hunted with several different Garmin receviers. Exactly zero of them have sufficiently impressed me in the receiver department as to earn the robertl-seal-of-approval. I really think that strapping Garmin's user interface on to a GPS receiver that doesn't suck has substantial appeal/intrigue.

If Garmin doesn't screw this up, they stand an excellent chance of earning that robertl-seal-of-approval.

If Garmin doesn't screw this up, they stand an excellent chance of earning that robertl-seal-of-approval.

I agree.

I've been saying for a while now that if Garmin would make a GPS that gets good reception, has unlimited memory, has a good compass, is waterproof and robust and can talk, they could put a rather sizable dent into the PDA navigation market. The cx series will be a big step. If only they would add voice navigation -- even if it only functions when a specialized car charger/speaker is connected.