Logging A Benchmark Find

Kindergarten Teacher

Teacher:

As Shirley says, we trust you. I do not have pix of all my claims.

There are no prizes here......no one gets money for the most finds. We all do this for fun and sport.

If you begin to log for NGS, you might want to have pix, and good notes to help substantiate your finds since you are then doing it for the Gov't and professional surveyors.

Welcome aboard and HAVE FUN !

K.T.

As stated above, pictures not mandatory. You fulfilled the primary objective for benchmark hunting when you got out and about to solve a small riddle - "Where's the mark?" Everything beyond that is gravy.

The second (of several) reasons for searching for a mark is, whether found or not, to add to the body of knowledge that we (hobbyists, NGS, general public) have about both the marks in the database and the gazillions of marks that are not in the database. A couple of photos adds info to that body.

Other good things about photos:

They cause a benchmark hunter to impose a greater level of care upon him- or herself. It's mildly embarassing to claim you found ABC when the photo shows disk XYZ.

An area photo showing the location of the mark and, maybe, one or two environmental references, makes it very easy for a subseqent hunter to find the mark. One of the perverse pleasures of this activity is to render hard-to-find marks easy-to-find.

Many photos of marks and their environments are interesting in and of themselves. See the thread about the "Benchmark Picture Contest" - there are some Ansel Adams wannabe's among the eccentrics.

Showing benchmark photos to people who have over-stayed their welcome is an effective way to get them to leave. Believe me, I know.

Welcome aboard & good hunting.

Will

Fenderstrat72 -

What you should do, if you haven't done this already is to use the coordinates of the witness post and enter them here after clicking the "By Coordinates" radio button. You can use this to find out if the survey mark near the witness post is in the database of over 700,000 benchmarks. If it is, the description might tell the position of the mark relative to the witness post.