Are Cell Phone's Worth It?

txknight

So I've read anyway, Americans are the only country that calls cell phones, "Cell Phones", the rest of the world calls them "Moblie Phones" or "Mobiles".  Not that we americans care.... right?  :huh:  B)

There were mobile phones before cell phones. Also called car phones, the traditional meaning of mobile phone is a telephone that is permanently installed and integrated into the wiring of a motor vehicle. They are attached to the vehicle, draw their power from the vehicle's battery and have an external antenna.

Prior to cell phones, only wealthy people had "mobile phones."

Edited to add:

Cell phones take their name from the fact that an area (city) is divided into a grid and receive/transmit stations placed in the "cells" of the grid throughout the city. Mobile phones had high wattage transmitters that normally sent to a single tower for the city, often a great distance away (relative to the nearby cell stations).

Edited by Thot

I don't own a cell phone because I cannot afford one. However, there are times when I wish I had one and here is one log that demonstrates how useful they can be in an emergency.

Recently, a woman who didn't have a cell phone to call for help spent four days on a cliff in the San Diego area before being found and rescued . . . :huh: