City Select And City Navigator

thcri

I just talked a friend of mine into getting a GPSMap60CS. He got it and now is writing back to me in regards to City Select versus City Navigator. Gee when I purchased my GPSMap60CS I don't remember the two both being available just the City Select. Can someone tell me the difference in a nutshell?

murph

For use in a 60c/cs, the most important difference is that the current version of City Navigator has much larger map regions. Whereas the individual regions in CitySelect are around 2 MB and allow you to carefully tailor the area you want covered by the 56 MB of the 60c/cs, the regions in City Navigator are closer to 20 MB each so you can only fit a few in memory at a time. That's not good if you're trying to cover the area for a long trip or if you happen to live near a corner where 4 regions come together.

So I'd recommend CitySelect over CityNavigator for any unit that doesn't let you expand memory. There is a slight amount of extra routing-related data in CityNavigator, but it's not enough to make up for the disadvantage of the large regions.

And, apparently, after I have upgraded to CS v7 I will need to pay full price for CN vx if I want to ugrade in the future? I asked this question in an email and got a generic "I will pass your concerns on....yada yada"

Well, if you have an old version of 6 (pre-June '05) it would cost $50 to upgrade to 7, and 7 is selling for $100+ from on-line retailers. I'm guessing that a later upgrade would be similarly discounted. That has been Garmin's practice in the past.

I have City Select v6 (CS v6). I can upgrade to City Select v7 for $50. What happens when I want to upgrade again in the future? The email I sent was to find out if Garmin will allow me to ugrade to City Navigator (my only choice at that point becasue City Select will be discontinued) for the upgrade price or if will I need to buy new software at full price.