Newbie Question

Coxy23

My family and I have been geocaching for about a year. Last weekend we decided to try benchmark hunting and found six near our house. I have not logged them yet because I would like to know two things first. Should I post the actual coordinates of the benchmark or does this make it too easy for the next guy? I guess what I mean is....is the purpose of the hunt the challenge of actually finding it? Secondly, should I always take a picture and include it with the post? I appreciate some of you experts getting a new guy off on the right foot.

Coxy23 -

Welcome to benchmark hunting!

The first thing you should do is to read all of the benchmark hunting FAQ page.

In that page you will find out about how to tell a location-SCALED mark from a location-ADJUSTED mark by reading the datasheet. You should only post coordinates for location-SCALED marks.

Benchmark hunting is quite different from geocaching in that you are supposed to do what you can to make the mark easy to find. Take a 'distant' picture that shows the mark in view in context with its surroundings so that the next person can find it by using your 'distant' photo. You should always take a closeup picture of the disk to prove that it is the correct disk and to show its condition. An optional third view is an 'eye level view' picture.

Have fun hunting benchmarks!

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Coxy23 –

Welcome aboard.

Not only that (everything that BDT said, above), but most experienced benchmark hunters also include comments that correct or expand the description and “to-reach” information on the datasheet. For example, if a mark is described as being “14.0 south of the south curb of Smith Street” but, because the street has been widened, the mark now lies 6.5 feet south of the curb, it is general practice to include that observation in the comments. The objective is to make it easier for subsequent users to find the mark.

You are correct: “the purpose of the hunt [is] the challenge of actually finding it”. For this reason, many hunters spend their time, energy and focus on marks that either have not been searched for yet or that have been searched for but remain un-found. Other hunters will search for previously-found marks only if they are conveniently located near/enroute to an un-found or unsearched-for mark. Most experienced hunters recommend that newbies search for one or two dozen previously-found marks to familiarize themselves with the process. Of course, there are marks (like the Washington Monument) that have been “found” dozens of times but can’t be passed up.

Here’s a link to a recovery I recently did. It’s (quite) a bit more elaborate than the average “FOUND IT”, but you can get the idea. Compare my comments with the original 1992 description.

AB2921

Good hunting.

Will

Coxy23,

The purpose of the hunt is to get off the couch and get outside and find a piece of history (the older the better... :lol: ). Like caches, some are easy, but others will take more than 1 attempt to locate and some just can not be found.

A picture is NOT required. If someone has already found the benchmark and posted a picture showing it is the correct mark then more pictures add little to the recovery notes. Posting a picture only Proves to those who look at the gallery or the benchmark page that you were actually there. I like to include the GPSr in the close-up picture to show the coordinates so the next person can zero in a bit closer right off the bat.

If you do NOT have a digital camera it could get a bit expensive using a 35mm and taking several shots at each benchmark you visit. Some have been known to find over 50 benchmarks is a single weekend! At 3 pictures per mark that's 150+ pictures to get developed...$$$

As to being an expert - who knows? But we sure try to sound like one! :santa::anibad:

John

PS: If you have to move dirt and debris to find the benchmark, PLEASE, do NOT rehide it better than you found it! :o